What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 tailstock shoe and washer

Noakes

Plastic
I am in the process of rehab'g a SB Heavy 10. I am using a copy of the SB CE3458 parts manual and a guide to renovating by Ilion services. I started with the tailstock as I figured it the easiest of the sections. I have noticed a few differences between the referenced manuals and my machine (made around 1943/1944). The parts blow up diagram on the CE document show item 14 (shoe). I must have lost item 14. The question here is can I simply use a section of mild steel for this? Angling the end that contacts the shaft. The second item I have is that my tailstock had a washer between the handwheel and graduated dial which is not shown on the blow-up. I also had an O ring on the screw towards the handle end of the shaft. I have no problem putting it back together as I found it with the parts not shown on various documents. What I am looking for is some kind of guidance on the shoe. Mild steel? Hardened steel? Brass? Any comments appreciated.

Should be brass if its like what was in mine. A piece of 1/8" brazing rod makes a fine sub.

The O ring probably subs for the rubber washer that was in there. Its used to keep the quill from seating against the screw and jamming.

Washer, not sure, but maybe to take up for some wear in the assembly.

Should be brass if its like what was in mine. A piece of 1/8" brazing rod makes a fine sub.

The O ring probably subs for the rubber washer that was in there. Its used to keep the quill from seating against the screw and jamming.

Washer, not sure, but maybe to take up for some wear in the assembly.

Thanks, Gadget:

I'll use a pc of brass rod for the shoe.

The extra washer could be meant as a spacer, not sure.
The O-ring is not in the same area as the rubber washer you mention, the rubber washer being internal to the mechanism. The 0-ring is in a groove in the shaft between the calibrated dial and the handwheel and it is apparently held in place by the washer that isn't on the parts list. This does make some sense. It apparently is a secondary seal to prevent oil from leaking on the shaft. I don't know what the profile of the shaft looks like from the drawings but there is a relief cut in it that the 0-ring was in --- or it could have been someone's idea at the tool room where this lathe was used all those years ago.

Bottom line is it will fit together and work with no problem as long as I put a small section of brass rod in place of the 'shoe'. Now, all I have to do is rebuild the remaining parts of the lathe.
thanks again.

Back