What's new
What's new

New (to me) Heavy 10 - no thread dial provisions?

hsracer201

Hot Rolled
New (to me) Heavy 10 - no thread dial provisions? More questions...

Two weeks ago I won a Heavy 10 on eBay. It is an early model with a single tumbler gear box. I don't have a serial number or photos handy. There appears to be no provision for a thread dial and there wasn't one with it. There are in fact many photos online of Heavy 10's without them, like this one on Tony's site:

Redirect Notice

The right side of the apron is slick, with no threaded holes. Is this common?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you. My next questions was going to be if it could be drilled and tapped for one, or if the ones that didn't come with one from the factory had different apron construction or internals?

This lathe is a royal mess. It'll be a long time before I actually get to the point where I need a dial but I'm glad to know it is so simple.

Some questions seem so silly, but when I've never run across anything like it before I'd rather just bite the bullet and ask and learn.

It came with a lever style tailstock that I've never owned before. Isn't there supposed to be a handwheel? I don't see how one would mount.

The drill chuck is stuck in there. On a regular tailstock you simply retract the quill far enough and it bumps your tool out. This has no such feature. What's SOP to removing tools? I'm not certain I like it but it is what it is.

I had already started taking it apart before I remembered to take a picture.

https://i.imgur.com/6rpeXu3.jpg

On your tailstock, a number of newer "store bought" drill chuck arbors will not eject properly from the South Bend tailstock ram. That's because they don't sit into the taper as far as the original. You can fix that by just withdrawing the ram and tonking the end of the chuck arbor through the bore in the ram. Since it sounds like you want a more standard tailstock with a hand wheel, you can fix that problem permanently when you convert over to hand wheel and screw and you make the screw a little bit longer. I don't know if the ram you have is compatible with the hand wheel and screw---it probably is not so you're looking at a new ram, screw, and hand wheel. The hand wheel can be purchased in a rough machined state from places like McMaster Carr. The screw can be made on your lathe or you can probably find one from somebody here on the forum or ebay. I've made two of the screws specifically to fix the "no eject" issue with the tailstock. The ram is probably also available on ebay or from somebody here on the forum.

That's the optional lever action tailstock. It normally has a screw and handweel too. Perhaps yours is modified or broken.

Beware tearing that entire lathe down at once. Do it in sections so parts are less likely to get lost/mixed up.

allan

That's the optional lever action tailstock. It normally has a screw and handweel too. Perhaps yours is modified or broken.

Beware tearing that entire lathe down at once. Do it in sections so parts are less likely to get lost/mixed up.

allan

I use a lot of ziplock baggies and I write good descriptions and sometimes draw sketches on them. I've got one of the eBay rebuild books on the way. I've dabbled with a few 9's and a 10k but never a 10L. I have never had a collet closer or lever tailstock though. Not sure how far the journey will go, but we'll see. I've got to quit buying lathes. I find something dirt cheap and I just can't say no.

https://i.imgur.com/oji0Hg2.jpg

Lever collet closer and lever tailstock would indicate it was a machine setup for production work. Could have made tens of thousands of widgets for the war.

Back