What's new
What's new

Source for 2MT Finish Reamer

QuickChange

Aluminum
Can someone recommend a trusted source for a decent quality, reasonably priced 2MT reamer? I was thinking of purchasing the reamer for use in "cleaning up" the tailstock (TS) taper on my 9" SB. I don't think the taper on the TS is holding quite as well as I would like. Over the years I have experienced a few occasions where I was drilling using the tailstock, and the drill bit subsequently "grabbed" and began spinning the drill chuck in the TS. This happened again just yesterday. I removed the drill chuck from the TS and cleaned/wiped down everything and reinserted into the TS, but the same thing occurred moments later when I resumed drilling. The interior of the TS bore looks OK, but has what I would describe as some VERY slight scoring. It is just not holding as well as I think it should. I'm thinking just a quick cleanup reaming of the TS taper will put everything right? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Can someone recommend a trusted source for a decent quality, reasonably priced 2MT reamer? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

What is a "Reasonable price" for one may not be for another ;) Three sources come to mind straight away ... eBay, McMasters or MSC J&L + I'm sure many other US tool outlets (not knowing more as I'm many miles away)

Having done just what you're about to do may I say a little "Beware" not to clean too much as some tonged tooling may hit the back of the tailstock barrel and will never lock - I know I was that guy!

Finally ... once done you'll probably put the reamer in a drawer and never use it again! ...

Good luck

John:typing:

What is a "Reasonable price" for one may not be for another ;) Three sources come to mind straight away ... eBay, McMasters or MSC J&L + I'm sure many other US tool outlets (not knowing more as I'm many miles away)

Having done just what you're about to do may I say a little "Beware" not to clean too much as some tonged tooling may hit the back of the tailstock barrel and will never lock - I know I was that guy!

Finally ... once done you'll probably put the reamer in a drawer and never use it again! ...

Good luck

John:typing:

Thanks for the reply, JJ. That last sentence in your post is also quite relevant (basically, probably use the reamer ONCE). The ChiCom reamers seem very economical to purchase, but if they won't produce a decent finish then obviously it's a waste of money at any price. I guess what I'm asking is-- for a one or two time use, can anyone (from personal experience) recommend a specific company/brand MT2 reamer that will get the job done? I really don't want to spend $100+ for a reamer IF a $50 or less item will git'er done, you see... I tend to be cheap when I know I can get away with it. My analogy would be Aloris compared to PhaseII toolholders. Believe me I would LOVE to have the Aloris product, but the PII gets it done nearly as well for a fraction of the price.

I got an inexpensive HSS MT2 reamer from victornet.com a few years ago, and it worked fine. Current price is $28.95. For one use, why not?

I got an inexpensive HSS MT2 reamer from victornet.com a few years ago, and it worked fine. Current price is $28.95. For one use, why not?

Blob---thanks for that reply. That's the info I was looking for! That's a price I can live with if it gets the job done adequately. Did you use your MT2 reamer to clean up a tailstock taper as well? Just curious is all... Thanks again for the info.

Just an FYI - drilling in "grabby" materials and what you describe is going to happen - drilling in brass with an unmodified (not "drubbed") drill bit ferinstance. DAMHIKT.
And I bought my MT3 reamer from Victor as well, the taper is clean. It still happens.

Just an FYI - drilling in "grabby" materials and what you describe is going to happen -

Rudd, Blob, others that responded--- thanks for the recommendations/advice on the MT2 reamer. What happened in the most recent episode of the "spinning" chuck MT2 shank in the tailstock, was that I was attempting to SLIGHTLY (about .030" as I recall) enlarge an existing "through" hole in some 6061 aluminum stock. The drill bit was biting in/grabbing the aluminum stock and was actually trying to screw itself into the material causing it to pull the chuck from the tailstock. This usually does not happen when initially drilling a hole into virgin material, because there is a LOT more pressure exerted on the drill bit due to the larger amount of stock being removed. At least that's my theory:)

I think you were right the fist time - "biting in/grabbing". When drilling a hole where none exists, you have to push the center of the bit - which has next to nothing SFM cutting speed and is at best relieved a bit, but maybe not. Certainly doesn't cut like the lips of the drill.
I usually knock my chuck in with a rawhide hammer if I have probs like that, sometimes it pulls out.
Could just grab a boring bar if it gets too frustrating. .030 is awkward, not enough to drill, too much to ream.

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but you could probably coat the drill chuck taper in a bit of layout fluid, sharpie, prussian blue, etc. and insert it into the tailstock. give it a little rotational movement and take it out, and anywhere the stuff you applied wore off is where the taper is actually making good contact. If its in only one or two spots, then the tailstock reamer might help with that. If there is a lot removed, then you might have other issues.

Back