What's new
What's new

WTB: South Bend 10" Big Bore take-up nut

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
We have a 1930's era South Bend heavy 10" lathe (under-drive style) at our shop that is in need of a few parts. First and foremost, the spindle take-up nut split and I'm trying to find a replacement to get the lathe running again.

This lathe has the larger bore spindle for the 5C collet tube. I've bought two nuts off Ebay already only to find they were for the standard smaller spindle. They're no use to me, so if anyone needs one....

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement big bore take-up nut? I'm wary of buying "new" parts through Gri**ly, and I'm holding off making my own (Buy what you can, make what you can't).

The other parts are not as big a deal, but I'm also looking for the gib and adjusting screw for the taper attachment, as well as the rod to connect it to the anchor.

Thanks in advance!

I am not very familiar with 10's as I have never owned one and only ran one a few times, but it seems to me the larger spindle heavy 10 shared the spindle nose with a 13. Might the take up nut from a 13 work? Could be worth looking into.

I wasn't aware heavy 10's were built before 1940 or so, I need to learn more about these smaller machines.

Marc

I believe the 13 and the 16 may have used the same as the 10L. If yours is 1930s vintage, it may be something different.

When you say it split, I presume you mean a split in addition to the factory one?

somethin not adding up...both the 10" small bore(10R)and large bore(10L) use the same nut..1 7/8" x 20tpi IIRC...are you sure you didn't buy a 10K take up nut?

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I may be wrong.

Whatever the style, is there a generic threaded locking collar available, if you specify the threads, etc?

1484667108557117529799.jpg
1484667163679104248633.jpg
14846672226581082443434.jpg
The lathe in question. I'm not 100% certain on the YOM (need to get a card from south bend I guess), but it does have a war tag if that helps. Serial number is 148795

148466743863066698350.jpg
The needed nut is the one on the right. It split just bellow the screw head while adjusting it. I honestly wasn't whaling on it, the counterbore around the screw is a little gnarly so it has been beat on at some point. The thread looks to be a 1 7/8 - 20. OD is 2.690 and its .533 wide.

This is one of our main manual lathes, but it's never needed much by way of repairs, so I'm still learning about it (there's usually squeekier wheels around the shop).

I looked it up for you in my SB Parts Book, and iwananew10K is correct. The take up nut is part # AS25R1, and it is used on both 10R and 10L, and only those machines. Looks like you might have bought 10K take up nuts.

BTW, your machine was built in 1944.

Marc

I looked it up for you in my SB Parts Book, and iwananew10K is correct. The take up nut is part # AS25R1, and it is used on both 10R and 10L, and only those machines. Looks like you might have bought 10K take up nuts.

BTW, your machine was built in 1944.

Marc

Thanks for straightening me out;). The only manual we have for this lathe is a very generalized reprint (covers just about everything in the 9 to 10" range, but not very well). I'll look around for a better manual now that I know what we have.

A copy of How to Run A Lathe will have most everything you need, and you can find a 1942 edition on eBay pretty easily. I just thumbed through my copy and it shows the 10 with 1" collet capacity.

I think you will find the Heavy 10 to be more like the larger lathes, than the 9 and 10k. I might be wrong but they give me that feel.

Best of luck,

Marc

Many thanks to kitno455. He had exactly the part I needed. No chips yet as I'm using the oportunity to flush out the spindle oil resevoirs and re-shim the bearings. Got about half-way there tonight.

Back