What's new
What's new

Mounting a 5C Lever Collet Closer on a 10EE

Sorry for being slightly OT, but I had an original manual for a 1020 fall into my lap with what might be the serial number on it:

Rivett 1 lathe manual - Album on Imgur

I believe there were a relative handful of these lathes made (25?) and I'd love to find the lathe it was for. Includes 3 copies of the marketing brochure and hand drawn schematic of the electronics.

Sorry for being slightly OT, but I had an original manual for a 1020 fall into my lap with what might be the serial number on it:

Rivett 12 lathe manual - Album on Imgur

I believe there were a relative handful of these lathes made (25?) and I'd love to find the lathe it was for. Includes 3 copies of the marketing brochure and hand drawn schematic of the electronics.

Nice! Any chance you can scan that into a PDF file?

Cal

pre-WWII Rivet 1020

Rivett 1�2� lathe manual - Album on Imgur

R

I am going to take this to a new thread, as it is genuinely a topic of its own.

Rick

Thanks. I PM'd you with my personal email.

In regard to the 10EE cover, could you please post some photos, as I don't get it about the top, middle and lower cover. My 10EE cover is aluminum. It seems beefy enough to mount a closer link to, and I can see how I could make some hard mounts to lock it to the headstock. But then, I wonder how much that shifting matters. It shifts front/back about 1/16" which I think the link mount should be able to accommodate. The cover does not move at all left/right.

Rick

Rick, here are some pictures of the headstock upper casting. You can see it has dowels to locate it and it bolts in place, unlike the headstock cover that is not built for a lever collet closer. I have seen some aftermarket collet closers, Royals I think, that have a bracket that bolts to the back side of the headstock, so they work on a lathe with that kind of headstock cover.

IMG_4540.jpgIMG_4541.jpg

Rick, here are some pictures of the headstock upper casting. You can see it has dowels to locate it and it bolts in place, unlike the headstock cover that is not built for a lever collet closer. I have seen some aftermarket collet closers, Royals I think, that have a bracket that bolts to the back side of the headstock, so they work on a lathe with that kind of headstock cover.

View attachment 214169View attachment 214170
I'll add that the middle cover slides underneath the one pictured; you need both. The upper and middle covers together take the place of the normal upper cover.

Cal

I'll add that the middle cover slides underneath the one pictured; you need both. The upper and middle covers together take the place of the normal upper cover.

Cal

Also, the part shown fits both an old height and a new height 10EE. The middle part is where the difference in height is taken up.

Back