What's new
What's new

changing stick welder to tig

Hey I recognize that machine. A customer sent one in for me to work on. Thing weighs a freekin ton! Its made in norway. i think you can get parts for it from lincoln.

His was stuck on high and didnt want to repair it.

Those connector are Dinse type connectors, Most new welders have these types on them. Go down to your local weld shop. If they dont know what you are talking about ask them to look up a Miller Maxstar 150. These use the same connector. They are pretty cheap.

Yes, this welder should work just fine and dandy for doing stuff like sheet steel and stainless. Dont worry about having a hand or foot control. Not needed, in fact it can get you in more trouble sometimes, once you turn it up too high its too late. Production shops rarely have their machine set up for remote current, just a on/off button.

Just watch your duty cycle. I am not sure what this thing is rated for but it cant be much.

Ries: I was actually referring to the little mig welders that lincoln and miler sell that just have a 4 and 5 step voltage tap.

Oh yeah, yes you could make a remote. All you need is a SPDT ON-ON switch. Mount it to the panel. take the center wire going to the pot and hook it to the common terminal. Take one of the other switch terminals and connect that back to the pot. Connect a piece of wire to each of the terminals of the pot. take these three wore and connect it to a connector mounted in the panel (I like the AMP plastic connectors) make up a remote or buy one ad make a mating connector to the rept on the machine. connect the wiper lead to the wire that goes to the switch. the other two wires go to the two remaining terminals. you may have to switch them aroud to get the direction of control how you want it. The switch on the front will switch you from panel control to remote.

This can be done like this with just about any welder that has a pot for power control.

Thank you all for your info.The welder cost me £15 about 22$. I have very little experience with welding as I have never worked in a toolroom that was equiped with a welding machine. I have used it as a stick welder and it seems to work ok for what I do(which is very little). I thought having a tig option would be desirable for car body work as the stick is to severe and my welding skills are not good enough for thin material. As for the duty cycle I have never managed to activate the thermal cutout so it seems ok for my needs.

I took my old Linde arc welder and added a Lincoln high freq box and a bridge rectifier to have DC available. I control the 220 input to the welder with scrs hooked to a foot pedal. The high freq box controls the gas flow. It is not a Syncrowave 250 but the arc looks the same.

hi all,

i looked over the welders on my way out of the shop last nite at 1 a.m., lil J went to his moms for the weekend so i worked late. the mig is a millermatic 200, although it doesnt have an infinite power control, it does have 12 settings, 6 on the high side and 6 on the low.

the portable is a miller bobcat 225G as i originally thougth it was. its a cc/cv , ac/dc welder/generator. it has a dial for cc control, looks like the only option it doesnt have is an hour meter.

i also found the owners manuals to both machines today (sunday), perhaps i will get a chance to read through them sometime this week.

cheers, Jason

The bobcat would be more suited to TIG. Although but will work. You will not find any info in the MM200 manual on TIG welding.

You wont be able to tig with either machines as they sit. the MM200 will be Steel/Stainless only and the Bobcat will need a HF attach to do aluminum.

Back