What's new
What's new

Coolant problems

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I keep my coolant filtered and clean with an auxiliary 5 micron filter and when it comes off the coolant shoot into the tank I have put oil pads down to remove any tramp oils. I use Schaefer’s 411 MaxKool and I like it but I’m seeing some issues that may or may not be something in the coolant causing it but I don’t see what else could cause the problem.

The coolant is a emerald green color with no milky appearance what so ever. The first 4 months it was just like that, clear and a dark green color similar to simple green cleaner but started to turn a milky color quickly and coat the inside of my machine with layer of what reminds me of dried wax.

I sucked all the coolant and washing the insides and flushed everything with clean water and refilled with fresh coolant and 3 weeks later it’s back to milky green color. I’ve called the manufacturer and they didn’t really no what to say. Except to run city water and not distilled to keep foaming down. Seems to have helped with foaming but wasn’t really bothered by a little foam.

The next and most concerning for me is if the coolant sits and dries on a brass piece, which is 99 percent of my work, it looks like the coolant is etching the metal. It doesn’t do it with steel or aluminum, only brass. The brass is 844 semi red leaded. So there is a chemical reaction between something in the alloy and the coolant that could be causing the coolant to what looks like etching and maybe that in turn what’s causing the milky appearance. It doesn’t make sense but I have seen lead precipitate a milky substance or at least I think lead contamination in a solution caused it.

The ph is high on the alkalinity side but it’s the same as when the coolant mixed fresh. Alkalinity shouldn’t effect an alloy of copper. I don’t belive. I’m research that.

Anything you guys can think of please let me know?

Does using a different brass alloy make any difference (this is a test, so it does not matter if the new allow is suitable for the product).

I'd try some other make and model of coolant.

IDK specifically if the issue is oxidation or some similar process like corrosion. I know that I have brass pneumatic fittings attached near my spindle and they have all turned green. We run Synergy 735. If you run brass exclusively, I would recommend reaching out to some coolant reps in your area and get one that is more tuned for your applications.

Some metals will react with coolants - and vice versa - and mysterious issues can arise. I remember a particular material (lead but not sure) and the coolant turned milky gray in a matter of hours and was putrid. Finished the job, cleaned out the machine and never an issue after that.

Back