What's new
What's new

Cost to erect metal shop building?

Damien:

Yeah, the turnaround is a bit skimpy - hence the 20' overhead door in bay #2! But you got to go with what Mother Earth gave you and we moved a lot of earth just to get what's there. There's more room between the buildings than it looks in the that picture and you can back a trailer into the building but if you wanted to turn one around you have to back all the way back to the other side of the house. Here's a couple pics of the semi delivering the steel to give you an idea of the access issues I have beyond that turnaround! I don't understand your reference to the bends - what items are you talking about?

Also Doug S is absolutely correct that the bolts not only have to be accurately placed but secured so that the concrete placement doesn't disturb them. That was an issue with that 10 bolt pattern pictured and caused some grieve setting the wind column - nothing a torch couldn't rectify but it held things up.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0432_1.jpg

I'd also add that installing roll insulation when the walls and roof are going on is a "real good idea". The material is only about $3k and as you can see from the pics makes for a really neat job. I was going to skip it and DIY later but a friend who owns a large steel building construction firm convinced me to go this route and I'm very glad I did.

Matt: I briefly entertained the insanity of the DIY thought but I came to my senses. I hired a professional erection crew - 6 hard working men doing non-stop 12 hour days took a full 9 days to complete the job! The basic building went pretty fast but the eye candy trim (soffit, windows, man doors, etc) slowed them down a lot. I did the overheads myself. Erection cost was $9K including dragging the semi backwards up the hill with their forklift and hauling the steel the last 200 yards. I don't think they would do it again for that price! My lazy hound was not much help!

TOH

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Sorry OH that was about the continuing rant about roof sheeting profiles. It was unrelated to your input.

Your best friend is beautiful. A golden retriever I suspect.

Those internal roof frames (portal frames) with tapered beams are a thing of the past over here. Too much labour to fabricate them. The haunch is sometimes made up from larger beams or half another beam welded on the bottom. The rest is usually a continuous standard beam.

There seems a lot of purlins to support that roof is this a snow load issue? I noticed that there are no gutters to collect roof water. Do you have a reticulated supply? You look a bit countrified out there.

Damien,

The tapered rigid frame main beams are SOP in this neck of the woods.

The abundance of purlin's is the result of some building code problems with the permits office in my county. The building engineers required individual live and snow load specs from me. The county demanded a single 30 PSF minimum live load spec and "didn't want to see and wouldn't look at" snow and dead load specs. So the building was ordered with 30 PSF live and 20 PSF snow load specs. Satisfied the county and lets me sleep at night.

Gutters are in the works and yes she is a spoiled Golden.

I tried to get as far away from the urban sprawl as possible but alas it's encroaching.

TOH

I can relate to those sentiments. In my case the hum of commuters' cars starts at or before 5am and that is on our highway #1, now called the Pacific Motorway, 4 lanes in either direction at 110k/hr, designed and built probably no more than 10 years ago and already very near designed peak density. It's about 4 kilometres away so the sound is a continuous hum or growl.

I thought I might add this to this thread, I was doing some research about HVAC and found this misting/evap cooling approach for rooftops. The general principle being that the roof is "misted" with water, and then the resulting evap cooling takes "load" away from the primary AC system.

Sounded pretty good (most sales pitches do, don't they?) fairly simple and at least well thought out. I like the fact that the system is surface mounted, without the roof surface being punctured...except do high winds damage the pipe system...

As far as the corrosion aspect of misting the (metal) roofs, there's no direct answer to that question, it remains the biggest concern I have.

http://www.cool-roof.com

Hey TOH,
Nice looking building project! I wanted to chime in and say I got a BS in Industrial Engineering from Va Tech in 1989. My 4 years at VPI still qualify as the hardest 4 years of my life!!!
Greg

I thought I might add this to this thread, I was doing some research about HVAC and found this misting/evap cooling approach for rooftops. The general principle being that the roof is "misted" with water, and then the resulting evap cooling takes "load" away from the primary AC system.

Sounded pretty good (most sales pitches do, don't they?) fairly simple and at least well thought out. I like the fact that the system is surface mounted, without the roof surface being punctured...except do high winds damage the pipe system...

As far as the corrosion aspect of misting the (metal) roofs, there's no direct answer to that question, it remains the biggest concern I have.

cool-roof.com - This website is for sale! - cool-roof Resources and Information.

Those work where you have low enough humidity to evaporate. If you have 70-90% like iowa all you have is waster on the roof. Works great in the desert

I would like to get a quote from your friend as well please (replying to speedsport)

I think your going about this the wrong way, I would open a new
thread instead maybe titled "Need prefab steel building supplier
in Oklahoma or Florida area"

BTW have not seen speedsport around lately, also these prefab
building suppliers come & go very fast, going out of business
all the time.

Back