What's new
What's new

FP1 Horizontal Arbor Complication

At least no fractional ones :D

Peter

LOL! Aye. As in "7.62 NATO" for .308". 5.56 NATO for .223"? Fractional both sides, as "30 -cal" or "22-cal" are not. Not quite.

OTOH, neither was 7.92 mm for a nominal 8 mm Mauser, nor 9 mm for .357" AKA .38 cal.

So much for a "simpler" and more regular metrology base once it meets Real World, and seriously high-volume production/consumption. AKA massive WASTE, ammunition being generally single-use, and seldom WISE use, even so.

:(

Needing the thread you might skim thread OD to fit a bearing..If the mill end keys and bolts or keys and drawbars to the head you don't need the out board thread for radial cutting forces...a greased stub of brass or bronze may due if not finding a bearing to fit..Heavy live center with a turned thread would work but not my first choice..

...a greased stub of brass or bronze may due if not finding a bearing to fit..
Stiff plastic, oiled HARDWOOD.....
Heavy live center with a turned thread would work but not my first choice..

Live or "death" center, the 60-degree 'stub' on, for example, the #4 Burke overarm doesn't HAVE to be a stub. #2 MT arse-end can hang out the back in thin air. Got lots of centres for that taper around, and CimCool to lube 'em.

Curious, now, as to why this is some sort of "show stopper"?

I thought you ALSO owned a LATHE?

More than a few solutions to this challenge exist.

Pick one. Implement, do not agonize. You are making OTHERS tired over "small shit".

:)

Oh really? Pot meet kettle. I seem to recall not too long ago there was a proposal to ban you from the site for bandwidth abuse or some such. (I didn't support that and still don't BTW). People who use their equipment to make things know that small shit is important, devil is in the details sort of thing. And yes I have a lathe, once I get the new arbor from Peter I'll send you this hardened and ground POS and you can have at that metric thread with your new HBX360 or whatever. Keep in mind there's a keyway in it so it'll be an interrupted cut. Hope you got a lot of threading inserts on hand!

Oh really? Pot meet kettle. I seem to recall not too long ago there was a proposal to ban you from the site for bandwidth abuse or some such. (I didn't support that and still don't BTW). People who use their equipment to make things know that small shit is important, devil is in the details sort of thing. And yes I have a lathe, once I get the new arbor from Peter I'll send you this hardened and ground POS and you can have at that metric thread with your new HBX360 or whatever. Keep in mind there's a keyway in it so it'll be an interrupted cut. Hope you got a lot of threading inserts on hand!

*sigh* You've had PLENTY of expert advice. Your sub-optimal PURCHASE DECISION is not some other Pilgrim's tooling issue.

My arbours FIT 'coz I acquired 'em to FIT. I can even run YOUR oddball 4 MT arbour, and in either of two mills, thanks to Scully-Jones. Or in a bleeping 5MT drillpress, for that matter.

You said you had a 15 mm stub beyond that nut?

WTH prevents you staying TF AWAY from those threads and either putting a bushing on the stub, not the threads, if that fits the Deckel's outboard support .....or ...using that centre divot? As have been suggested. Both.

Support is too far out for your liking? Welcome to the real world of machining.

Bleeping 4 MT arbour, stacked to 40-taper adapter and barely over an inch OD may as well be al dente spaghetti, anyway.

It is going to have to take light cuts regardless.

And no. I'd not alter the threaded end.

It is the 4 MT end that is the odd duck. Unless it is slotted for a locking wedge, AND your mill's spindle is as well, that is not even a milling machine rated taper.

There's well over a hundred and thirty years of proof back of that.

If you can't have 30 or 40 taper, you want B&S taper for small mills.

It was developed FOR milling machine side loads and multi-flute pounding.

Morse is for end-loads. Drills & such. Hore-bores only with the locking wedge. Drawbar alone was never quite good enough to put MT up against B&S, 1800's onward.

Peter's 27mm arbor arrived today. Genuine F. Deckel brand, perfect fit everything went well. Made a decent pile of chips tonight.

Back