What's new
What's new

Gage Question

Sith_Machinist

Plastic
So my shop isnt the most loose with their money but often times I need to "make due" with gages and measuring instruments. We bought this gage and is has the readings in Chinese I believe. Can anyone tell me the actual meanings of these symbols. Google Translate was very vague

Attachments

• 35npt1.jpg
    35npt1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 35npt2.jpg
    35npt2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 13
  • 35npt3.jpg
    35npt3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 13
You have to put the words together and I think the meaning can change. Traditional characters I think are read top down and then right to left. I'm not sure if it's always like that with modern characters.

Interesting tidbit if you add the characters for vessel, mouth, and 8 the meaning is boat. Some people attribute this to the story of Noah's Ark. There's others as well that only seem to make sense in light of Biblical stories but I digress...

So my shop isnt the most loose with their money but often times I need to "make due" with gages and measuring instruments. We bought this gage and is has the readings in Chinese I believe. Can anyone tell me the actual meanings of these symbols. Google Translate was very vague
Japanese use Chinese characters, it may well be a high quality tool. Showing us full photos allows us to provide a more informed opinion. The meaning of those characters (Kanji) in the order you posted are, "Base", "Up" or "Top", and "Down" or "Bottom", and I assume are telling you the proper orientation of the device.

[EDIT] Just want to add, I just tried and my Google translator was also able to easily identify these very basic Kanji (I see up and down on every elevator), so I'm not sure what you did wrong there. The app for my gear makes short work of even handwritten Japanese, it's pretty astonishing and helpful.

Last edited:
Japanese use Chinese characters, it may well be a high quality tool. Showing us full photos allows us to provide a more informed opinion. The meaning of those characters (Kanji) in the order you posted are, "Base", "Up" or "Top", and "Down" or "Bottom", and I assume are telling you the proper orientation of the device.

[EDIT] Just want to add, I just tried and my Google translator was also able to easily identify these very basic Kanji (I see up and down on every elevator), so I'm not sure what you did wrong there. The app for my gear makes short work of even handwritten Japanese, it's pretty astonishing and helpful.
Thats the same words I got and they are on 3 stepped sections of the gage of various heights all at 120° intervals. So we are assuming its for proper engagement.
And I never assumed it was a bad quality gage as they offer certificates for the rings. I just said it looks like it was a Chinese made gage.

I've never used a thread ring for tapered threads, but after seeing the picture I would have to guess that one of those is the upper limit, one of them the lower limit, and the third is your nominal.
If memory serves, there should be a taper gage that goes with the ring. The ring gage step the end of part is level to should correspond to the one on the taper gage before threading. Here, usually referred to as ANPT.

If memory serves, there should be a taper gage that goes with the ring. The ring gage step the end of part is level to should correspond to the one on the taper gage before threading. Here, usually referred to as ANPT.
Yeah no taper gage came with this ring gage. The Taper is cut on a CNC machine. But yes I agree there should be a taper gage for proper fitment. Unfortunately my shop owner is really cheap.

Back