What's new
What's new

Green Mountain Barrels

Avrgjoe

Cast Iron
I have purchased a 9mm barrel blank from GM... or at least I am trying to. I placed my order line on Friday, Oct. 25, I found out that their web sight was not working to the point I could make the order but I couldn't make payment. GM only works 1/2 a day on Fridays and they are closed on Sat. & Sun. This means I was forced to wait until Monday, Oct. 28 to call them to make my order. I made my order and was told that it would ship Tuesday, Oct. 29 and I should receive a confirmation/tracking email on Wednesday, Oct. 30. I received the email, the email stated that the order had shipped, they had charged my card $230.78 and the package was scheduled for delivery on Friday, Nov. 1, I immediately called to find out why I was charged $230.78 for 1-9mm Barrel Blank, The guy just laughed and said "oops, just a mistake in the type, we only charged you the correct amount", Which the barrel was cheap enough but shipping was 1/2 as much as the barrel itself which to me seemed rather expensive for shipping? As I waited for an email confirming delivery on Fri., I never received it. I checked tracking again to find out that when they took my order they misspelled my street name and UPS said it was undeliverable. The sender would have to submit a new address. I emailed GM late Friday asking them to make the change and to let me know asap that the change had been made. I called them today around 12:30pm to ask about it and I was told the guy handling my order was at lunch and he should call me back in 30 min. 2 hours later I called again to find out where we were at with this. I was told that the address had been changed first thing today and I would just have to wait.... I asked "wouldn't it have been easier to have returned the email to let me know that in the first place like I had asked instead of me having to call twice to find out. At this point the guy was getting increasingly ugly saying "Im sorry you had to call us but this isn't our fault and we have done what we can and we cant do anything else." I advised him that I have been trying to get 1 barrel from them for 10 days and I have had to call them 4 times for 1 order. Once again even more so...."we have done what we can and we can not do anything else, you will just have to wait for it to show up"

My question in all of this is: This is my first time doing business with Green Mountain, Is this just a fluke incident or are they always like this to deal with? Their site don't work, They make mistakes on shipping, they send emails with wrong info, don't return emails, don't return phone calls, get ugly with customers on the phone and then to me the worst statement a company can make to a customer "we have done all we can"

I am just starting to machine my own barrels and this is the first time ordering with them, do I give them another chance next time or just find a new barrel co. to deal with?

Not sure where the $75.00 came from?, maybe I have gave the wrong impression as far as the charges go? The $230.78 was just a Typo in the email, the actual charges was 34.95, 9mm Heavy Blank 17.5" x 1.25" 4140 1:10 and then $13.95 shipping for a total of $48.90, @ nearly 1/2 as much for shipping as the barrel cost it seemed a little padded on the shipping cost.

As far as "did I have to ask", well, I guess I am being optimistic and hoping that I would hear some good experiences and I could chalk it up to just a fluke bad experience? I hate to draw a bad and finite decision from 1 experience. Everyone can have a bad day?.....right?

Not sure where the $75.00 came from?, maybe I have gave the wrong impression as far as the charges go? The $230.78 was just a Typo in the email, the actual charges was 34.95, 9mm Heavy Blank 17.5" x 1.25" 4140 1:10 and then $13.95 shipping for a total of $48.90, @ nearly 1/2 as much for shipping as the barrel cost it seemed a little padded on the shipping cost.

As far as "did I have to ask", well, I guess I am being optimistic and hoping that I would hear some good experiences and I could chalk it up to just a fluke bad experience? I hate to draw a bad and finite decision from 1 experience. Everyone can have a bad day?.....right?

I have ordered from them 4-5 times and always got what I wanted.
I did email a question about their barrels twice and never got a response, eventually I just called and asked.

Personally, I think you are getting a bit worked up over nothing.
Stuff happens, they aren't going to cheat you out of anything.

And shipping a bar of steel for $13.95 is extremely reasonable.
Have you looked on Ebay lately? Any little thing is $12 and up to ship.

Really what is the hurry all about?
Why do you even need a tracking number?
10 years ago NOBODY gave a tracking number, especially over a $35 order and we all seemed to muddle through somehow.

Relax, it is going to be OK. :)

I've dealt with GM a fair amount and had mostly great experiences with them. Never get the same person twice on the phone with GM and that is normal unless it is a very small mom and pop kinda place. I would guess that if you made 100 more orders with them they would all be better than the one you just described. Your first was just the odd - bad one. Give them another try next time. -Chill Wills

If shipping is 1/2 as much as the part. . . $76 shipping, $152 part . . . roughly speaking. It does help if you give real numbers when ranting. The others are right. . .a little patience goes a long way!

Fluke, I've found them to be a great company to deal with and the barrels are a great value for the money. The last one I chambered on my backup High power rifle out shoots the Krieger on my primary gun. Shipping usually runs about $10 per barrel

The premium barrels that are stress relieved and the bore and grooves lapped to a mirror polish are costing me $220 to $375.

The other cheap barrels may foul a little faster, but I still use them for some things and Green Mountain seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Remington 700 take off barrels CAN be amazing for the price, too.
I have a Ruger #1V 223 original barrel that looks low class inside, but shoots like premium.

Definitely a fluke;
Never had an issue making a phone order and always professional on their end. I have heard that they are having a Internet issue and are trying to get it resolved. Suggest that you continue to call and send a follow-up email. And I agree with clarkmag, a great bang for your buck.

i ordered 2 this month and never got a email or tracking number as their email is messed up and had to pay over the phone .
i called and got a tracking number but it was really wrong, ha. 2 days later my barrels came ups. thats life

the story i got was they just bought the company back from a larger corp and they are taking forever to turnover control of the website.

Well this explains their website issues.

this was posted by a GM rep on Rimfire Central on 9/24/13.

Hi Everybody:

We are still having trouble with our website not being able to take orders. If you need to order or inquire, please call me or email. We have lots of barrel blanks, 10-22 bull barrels and sporters, AR15 M16 and M4 barrels which have started to come back in stock. Sorry for any inconvenience, but we will be happy to assist by phone. Green Mountain is now it's own company - owned by Rick Sanborn. Our former corporate owner, EBSCO is handling the hand-over of the website poorly, so we appreciate your phone calls. Rick saved over 200 jobs by buying the company when EBSCO decided to shut us down after the Newtown shootings. Green Mountain is the nation's largest independent rifle barrel manufacturer - sourcing from US suppliers and manufacturing in New Hampshire, USA.
Thank you all for your continued support. Dennis

Looks like we almost lost another company to the anti gunners.

GM is my go to barrel unless customer specifies something else. I just cleaned a 17 HH that I built a Contender barrel using one of our stubs. I was fire forming brass with it so it had had about 40 rounds through it and got almost no copper fouling at all. Very smooth. I have not sighted this barrel in but indications ire that it will shoot very well.

Lowell

Lowell,

As you know, I've known Rick for quite some time now (coming up on two decades before too long). A real stand up guy, and it doesn't surprise me one bit, the circumstances of how he ended up owning the company. GM has always (IMHO) made very good barrels.

On topic, there are still a couple glitches here and there, but everything seems to be working with the new website.

Tim

The man to contact at Green Mountain is Dennis Paladino. But you can also look him up on Face Book which is even faster. Dennis is good people and he is G.M.'s National Sales Manager.

Back