What's new
What's new

lever on 10EE?

maynah

Stainless
What is the lever on the far right of the bed?
I used to have a round dial EE and researched a lot about them, but I can't remember seeing this lever.
Monarch round dial lever.jpeg

ELSR - Electric Lead Screw Reverse. Normally it shuts off the drive at a settable stop for (kind of) automating screw cutting. Handy when threading into a blind hole and such. The lever controls the drive.

But I don't see what I expected to see on the headstock - in my recollection there's normally a switch on top of the housing on the front of the headstock that modifies the fwd/rev control to different in LH threading vs. RH threading.

When did ELSR change to the more commonly seen form? Is it a square dial, round dial thing?

That looks more like the forward/stop/reverse lever on my round dial 10EE. Looks like a lever on the left is missing.

On mine, these levers are on that shaft and can be easily moved. Tighten them up where you'd like to shut the lathe off. Put it auto feed and lathe will shut down when it hits this. VERY HANDY for long cuts when you are running more than one machine.

What is the lever on the far right of the bed?
I used to have a round dial EE and researched a lot about them, but I can't remember seeing this lever.
View attachment 434577
monarch-round-dial-lever-jpeg.434577

No, this is NOT an ELSR (Electric Lead Screw Reverse) machine. It has the very rare Mechanical Lead Screw Reverse (MLSR) option. Whereas ELSR simply turned off the spindle motor when the lever was moved (either by the operator's action or by hitting one of the stops), this option leaves the spindle running and disengages the headstock spindle dog clutch, disengaging the threading gears. That is, it physically moves the feed-thread direction knob. It's very hard on the clutch, especially if the operator tries to engage the clutch with the spindle turning. Monarch rapidly discontinued this option and nothing similar (that is no mechanical "reverse") was offered on square-dial machines.

If you look at Parts Picture E-15 in the round-dial manual you can see the MLSR components.

Maynah, where did you see this machine?

Maybe I got something ultra rare:

orange and red are the left and right forward/off/reverse levers on same shaft..

I put a blue line below the shaft that runs the length of the machine. It just goes through the apron, no connections in there.

Under the cover on the left, blue arrow, are the electrical switches for
F/O/R

The handles will slide on the shaft and can be tightened at any point. If the apron hits the handle, the whole shaft rotates and turns the lathe off.

I do not use it often, but very handy when doing very long cuts. Just tighten handle and lathe shuts down when hit. It is a purely mechanical rotation

41 10EE.jpg

Maybe I got something ultra rare:

View attachment 434712
No, not particularly rare. What you have is a nice example of an ELSR machine:
41-10ee-jpg.434712

The horizontal control rod through the apron, the levers, the up/down motion of the levers causing the control rod to move sideways, that's all the same as the MLSR machine in the first post. But what happens when the rod moves sideways is completely different. As I said earlier, the MLSR control rod rotates the headstock feed/thread direction knob, operating the threading gear clutch on the spindle; your ELSR control rod operates a pair of micro-switches that control power to the spindle motor. The MLSR machine has the same headstock-mounted spindle motor control switch that other (non-ELSR) MG machines use.

A fair number of round-dial ELSR machines were built, especially towards the end of round-dial production. What IS rare about your machine is that the ELSR system is intact. Someone has replaced the handles, but it appears otherwise intact.

The handles will slide on the shaft and can be tightened at any point. If the apron hits the handle, the whole shaft rotates and turns the lathe off.

... Just tighten handle and lathe shuts down when hit. It is a purely mechanical rotation
No, that's not quite it. It's the horizontal motion of the rod that operates the ELSR mechanism, not the rotation. IIRC, moving the handle down moves the rod left (it might be the other way around, but that's not important; one way or the other the rod moves left). It's possible to set the switch on the top of the ELSR "tombstone" so that lever down/left causes the spindle to turn either direction. And you can set up the headstock, gearbox and apron so that lever down/left causes the apron to feed/thread to the left. If that's the case, when the apron hits the left stop/handle it will jam the control, making it impossible for the operator to stop the spindle/apron via the lever. His only options are: a) panic; b) move the tombstone switch to center/off; c) shut off the MG and pray it stops before too much damage occurs. One or two crashes like that likely causes the owner to permanently decommission the ELSR system, accounting for the scarcity of intact round-dial ELSR machines. And I bet that's why the original handles are missing from your machine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I can see where setting it up "backward" can cause a crash. As long as you don't do that, its a handy feature for long run time turning cuts.

Back