What's new
What's new

looking for cutter for manually cutting parallel grooves

Here are two tools I made by stacking utility knife blades together. It's the right idea. I can make these wider. Also useful in case I ever get sent up the river

16796652866287019417660536534199.jpg
Tthese are some of the tools I use. From left to right:
Blades in handles, burnished, tri scraper, ex lyons take, scribe, carbide pcb drill in holder, scalpel, graver cutter, pcb drill in dowel, hacksaw blade in wooden handle.

How do they make defraction gratings and Fresnel lens? There is a machine to do that.
A microtome could be used to make the cutting edge.
Use a phonograph record as a mold to metal plate onto.
Bill D

Know anyone with a wire edm? This could be made relatively quick. They could just wire out a 50 tpi style cutting edge on a 1" wide piece of steel.
I had one EDMed like this 40 years ago. I just looked in my tool box and it is still there. Mine was done on a 3/8 X 1 high speed steel blank for use on a turret lathe. Made many pillars for accurizing rifles with it. No reason it could not be done 50 lines to an inch with the advantage it is a lot easier to hold than messing with a tap. If this is a repeat job the tool would be easy to set up on a variety of machines.

Last edited:
I could make that cutter in post #23 of solid carbide and one inch wide (tungsten carbide tipped) with an insert silver brazed on a shank, *but I am not volunteering to do so.
I would guess such a cutter would cost a couple hundred or more.
for a one-up, one would waste a diamond wheel with dressing a one-time use.

Last edited:
The machines that Ries and Bill D referred to are "ruling engines", a reasonably close relative to "rose engines". Always a rare, specialty device, and the ones for diffraction gratings are more like a piece of experimental physics lab equipment than a piece of gear you can buy from a catalog and have trucked to your shop.

The machines that Ries and Bill D referred to are "ruling engines", a reasonably close relative to "rose engines". Always a rare, specialty device, and the ones for diffraction gratings are more like a piece of experimental physics lab equipment than a piece of gear you can buy from a catalog and have trucked to your shop.
exactly. they are just what he wants, but very rare, and usually have a high antique tool value.
If it was me, I would do this with a single point cutter in my milling machine. Lock the spindle from rotating, and use the DRO on my x axis to get my line spacing. I use rotating single point cutters in my Gorton engraving machine, but the same cutter fixed would cut a nice groove.

Back