What's new
What's new

machining 304 stainless steel

jvaldivia

Plastic
Hello everyone , im new to this site, but i need some recommendations on machining 304 stainless steel on a lathe. machine rpm max on the machine is 5000 rpm. any speeds, feeds and tooling companies would be appreciated. if you have any past experiences to share that would be great also. thank you in advance.

If you're really without any idea at all of where to start, buy your tooling here:

Select your material and whatever cutter you decide on. They'll have recipes they've already worked for each individual product.

Last edited:
Hello everyone , im new to this site, but i need some recommendations on machining 304 stainless steel on a lathe. machine rpm max on the machine is 5000 rpm. any speeds, feeds and tooling companies would be appreciated. if you have any past experiences to share that would be great also. thank you in advance.
most cutting tools like inserts list recommended feeds and speeds
obvious tool holder (length stick out) , part, machine vibration effects things.
304 varies widely from annealed to fully work hardened. like 300 to 600% faster if
annealed and much longer tool life
not as much as tool steel can vary in hardness but still 304 can vary a lot

Cool thing about 304 is that you can have all your parameters dialed in perfectly.

Then when the next batch of material comes in, it all goes to shit.

Keeps life exciting.
maybe i'm spoiled lots of aerospace stuff round here 304 is purdy consistent, there is ht condition to contend with though

as for subing 303, do this ONLY if you have enginerding approval, thet are not the same in many rather important aspects. chemically they are nearly identical close enough an xray can't tell but 304 is much harder and tougher then 303

maybe i'm spoiled lots of aerospace stuff round here 304 is purdy consistent, there is ht condition to contend with though

as for subing 303, do this ONLY if you have enginerding approval, thet are not the same in many rather important aspects. chemically they are nearly identical close enough an xray can't tell but 304 is much harder and tougher then 303
Get 316, machines better than 304 and is better than 304 in almost every physical property there is.

aga

again, substitutions without enginerding approval are bad m-kay

this is basic machining 101 stuff, and all ya'll should know better
No shit sherlock. I think (or hope) every shop knows not to make a sub without prior authorization.

What I'm saying is if you're going to make a suggestion for a substitution to the customer, 316 is the better choice.

Tbf not sure why OP is asking this question if he is who he says he is...

Back