What's new
What's new

ManSon Mini Lathe for sale !!!

jsellon

Plastic
Very rare & highly collectible “ManSon Lathe” manufactured by firm “Small Machines Inc.” located in Los Angeles California. The company began trading in October 1946. The lathe is 9 inches long, 3 inches wide & 6 inches in height. Has original brochure and original accessory tool box which makes it even more exceptional. The tool box is complete and originally was sold a part from the lathe as an accessory kit, containing a 4 jaw chuck, Allen tool wrench, 3 drive dogs, 4 collets, center drill, mini drill chuck, faceplate, & a screw-on headstock spindle-nose collet adapter.

At that time the lathe sold by mail order for $39.75 & the accessory kit was sold for $24.50. These lathes are very rare and the accessory kit is now even harder to find. Both the lathe and complete accessory kit have been selling on eBay and various forums and web pages but having the original Manson lathe brochure, instructions manual, warranty paper and original shipping box is quite extraordinary.

The lathe has some minor scratches but always been very well taken care of and is in very good condition & runs smoothly. This lathe is all original including paint. Everything sold as it is & accept no returns. Take a close look at them for any details, specifics, questions or inquiries. Will ship to Canada, United States, Mexico & Europe. Will only ship via DHL or FedEx companies.
Make sure Paypal shipping address is up to date & correct before your payment. My email is [email protected]. Feel free to ask any questions. I will only ship to the registered Paypal address & approximately 2 to 3 business days after payment is confirmed.
I look forward to doing business with you.

Click the link below to see +40 detailed pictures... Regards, Jean Sellon

ManSon Mini Lathe - for sale !!!Unique very old collectible Lathe. - Home

All should be warned that the spindle is a VERY THIN piece of straight tubing,basically. Hardened tool steel,precision ground,but THIN. It goes through 2 BALL bearings,one at each end. There is NO WAY to adjust these bearings. So,if they go bad,the only thing you can do is remove them and replace.

I was asked to take the spindle out of one of these lathes. The bearings were so tight on the thin spindle that I had to run liquid nitrogen through the inside of the spindle to shrink it enough to get the bearings off. This is all I did,and I did not get into ordering new bearings or installing them. I was glad to return the parts to the owner and be rid of it.

These lathes are cute,but that is about all. They have a nice bed,but the carriage and tailstock(I think. I did not remove it,and it was painted.) are just aluminum,which I am not impressed with. If I had to USE one of these lathes(what for?),I'd take the aluminum carriage off and make a STEEL one,at the LEAST!

I'd MUCH rather have an ordinary watch maker's lathe than a Manson,as far as usefulness is concerned. A Manson looks cool sitting on your mantle,though. These were definitely designed by the Itty Bitty Machine Committee.

It would be fun hearing from someone who actually MAKES things of consequence with one of these.

All should be warned that the spindle is a VERY THIN piece of straight tubing,basically. Hardened tool steel,precision ground,but THIN. It goes through 2 BALL bearings,one at each end. There is NO WAY to adjust these bearings. So,if they go bad,the only thing you can do is remove them and replace.

I was asked to take the spindle out of one of these lathes. The bearings were so tight on the thin spindle that I had to run liquid nitrogen through the inside of the spindle to shrink it enough to get the bearings off. This is all I did,and I did not get into ordering new bearings or installing them. I was glad to return the parts to the owner and be rid of it.

These lathes are cute,but that is about all. They have a nice bed,but the carriage and tailstock(I think. I did not remove it,and it was painted.) are just aluminum,which I am not impressed with. If I had to USE one of these lathes(what for?),I'd take the aluminum carriage off and make a STEEL one,at the LEAST!

I'd MUCH rather have an ordinary watch maker's lathe than a Manson,as far as usefulness is concerned. A Manson looks cool sitting on your mantle,though. These were definitely designed by the Itty Bitty Machine Committee.

It would be fun hearing from someone who actually MAKES things of consequence with one of these.
Speaking of unusual mini lathes, remind me how much that mini Hardinge HLV-H reproduction went for on eBay years ago so I can cry that I didn't at least bid on it. I recall it went sickeningly cheap considering the work it must have entailed to make.

Hello Cranium,

I wanted to post the sale in this forum but I can only attach 5 pictures and I created a kind of blog so I can post a lot of detailed pictures. The price I'm asking is 1,600 it is an extremely complete set of ManSon lathe, not even the Craftmanship Museum owns a lathe as nice as mine and I have never seen one with original instructions book, warranty and original shipping box. It is a very nice almost 70 years old piece of American history. Regards, Jean

Hello….Don't know where to post. My father passed away a month ago and left us with quiet a few machines. We are in Tempe, Arizona just outside of Phx about 5 min from the airport. If anyone knows ho would like these machines or can point me in the rich† direction to sell these machines any help would be greatly appreciated.
480-239-9723 is my cell.

View attachment 176759View attachment 176760View attachment 176761View attachment 176762View attachment 176763

1. Start your own thread instead of scabbing onto an unrelated one.
2. Put that thread in the 'commerce' section, 'machinery'. (yes you got this one right)
3. Post prices.
4. Post upright photos that will fill at least half of the screen when opened.
5. State the availability of loading equipment.

Your dad took good care of that equipment, he knew that worthwhile stuff took effort. Take the effort to follow his example and do a quality listing please.

1. Start your own thread instead of scabbing onto an unrelated one.
2. Put that thread in the 'commerce' section, 'machinery'. (yes you got this one right)
3. Post prices.
4. Post upright photos that will fill at least half of the screen when opened.
5. State the availability of loading equipment.

Your dad took good care of that equipment, he knew that worthwhile stuff took effort. Take the effort to follow his example and do a quality listing please.

And when you are done with making your own ad, come back and edit your post in this thread, to blank it or remove. Gotta be quick, as the forum software only allows you to edit within the first day.

To post a new thread, go to the Index Page, and look at the top for the "Post New Thread" button.

Nice looking stuff. Good pictures will get you good sales!

Cheers
Trev

Your dad took good care of that equipment, he knew that worthwhile stuff took effort.
I am mystified how you can tell that from those photos. The Asian mill looks pretty clean but he may have bought it new and just didn't use it much. The drill press is mundane Asian plain Jane and the Clausing lathe....I can't tell if he"took good care of that one" or not.

Hello Aburton,

Thanks for screwing my post. Now the conversations and threads are of your pictures and not my post. I took the time to investigate how the forum worked and how to post so I think you could also take the time to do as everybody does. Regards, Jean

Hello Aburton,

Thanks for screwing my post. Now the conversations and threads are of your pictures and not my post. I took the time to investigate how the forum worked and how to post so I think you could also take the time to do as everybody does. Regards, Jean
No worries....none of these cheapskates would give even 1/4 that much for it anyway :stirthepot:

Plus all the extra chatter keeps your ad at the top of the pile !

Hello Aburton,

Hi Jean, as a practically non-poster here, coming with a hyped sale of an item that nobody here is interested in other than as a curiosity I think you've just iced your cake.

PM tends to look down on non-contributors looking to sell stuff , while helping those who appear here looking for help after a family loss. The latter often have no clue about machines or forums for that matter, but are almost universally polite and thankful.

Good job chief investigating the forum, and good luck on ebay. Don't forget to mention how complete it is. That's important.

... The price I'm asking is 1,600 it is an extremely complete set of ManSon lathe, not even the Craftmanship Museum owns a lathe as nice as mine and I have never seen one with original instructions book, warranty and original shipping box...

I will have to look up what 1600 Mexican pesos is in dollars. I think it is a very attractive price.

But I have owned several of the various members of the Small Machines/Manson family and really don't want another one. The only ones that could be actually put to useful work are the models with a spindle for 8 mm (WW) collets, and they are still far inferior to a real WW pattern lathe.

That miniature HLV-H lathe Milacron mentioned had an 8 mm (WW) spindle and a WW bed so it could share attachments with a real WW watch lathe.

Larry

I will have to look up what 1600 Mexican pesos is in dollars. I think it is a very attractive price.

But I have owned several of the various members of the Small Machines/Manson family and really don't want another one. The only ones that could be actually put to useful work are the models with a spindle for 8 mm (WW) collets, and they are still far inferior to a real WW pattern lathe.

That miniature HLV-H lathe Milacron mentioned had an 8 mm (WW) spindle and a WW bed so it could share attachments with a real WW watch lathe.

Larry

Larry,
In the link he states its 1600 US dollars

I think he was joking?????
I envision him taking to Antiques Roadshow with an antique toy expert rotating it on a carpeted lazy suzan with a pointer, going into the history of the models, proclaiming it the best example he has ever seen, and then saying he would insure it for $20,000 !

Of course if I did that with the exact same toy they would say "sorry sir, there is no market for these at all....NEXT !" :fight:

Machinist friend of mine in Burlington, NC has one of these on his office bookshelf.... I think he paid 25 bucks for it at a flea market years ago.

=============================

Having said that, years ago for about a year I was obscessed with antique outboard boat motors. The funny part there, with "collectors" the metal toy versions of 1940's outboard motors are worth more than the same model of the actual 1940's outboard motor ! (even if the actual motor is in excellent condition)

But the difference there is outboard motors have mass appeal and many played with the toy versions as kids.......these "lathes" have very limited appeal and almost NO ONE played with them as kids....thus no nostalgia aspects like with the toy outboards. Also the toy outboards appear identical to the models they are representing.....the Manson lathe appears vaguely like a tiny Monarch 10ee, but only vaguely.

============================

Back to the smaller scale Hardinge HLV-H reproduction I mentioned...does no one here remember what it sold for or who the buyer was ?

Back