What's new
What's new

Most flexible Tig welding gloves?

Two other options are Air Force pilot's gloves, the style that have grey goatskin on the fingers and the remainder olive nomex. They used to be available in surplus stores, now there are various new knock offs on the market.

Pilot glovesthe Aviation Store.net

Amazon.com: Military Style Nomex Fire Resistant Pilot Flight Leather Gloves (6 (Short), Black): Military Apparel Accessories: Clothing

The other is race car drivers gloves. They are a bit thicker, very comfortable, but bloody expensive to buy. They are good for higher heat applications. If you work for any racers, suggest they donate their old gloves, generally they wear out the palm of the shifter glove.

I've tried it without gloves, but I'd get a little buzz and a numb hand from time to time.
Now I use nitrile doctor's gloves. They insulate just fine, and I can get almost passable results even with my shaky as hell hands.

Tip with those, when they tear, don't take off the old one and try and wrestle on a new one over a sweaty hand, just put on another over the old one.

The problem with the Tillman gloves is :

The fuzz that keeps fouling the tip of the tungsten when handling it during the grinding op.
The gloves were a good fit when new, but they are now quite loose ; loose enough that grabbing filler rod that has fallen on the floor takes several attempts.

Last edited:
my problems with Tillman date back to when they first started producing in china. (early 90s?)

first, I noticed the white gloves would bleach my skin whiter when new, really disturbing.

second, the leather was very inconsistent it thickness, and some pairs would have a finger disintegrate in a matter of days.

I stopped buying Tillman, and now buy Steiner or Weldas. I like the Steiner megatig 0230, it has a layer of insulation on the back of the fingers, that gives them a little more protection without compromising feel much.

the Weldas green and white gloves made out of buffalo hide are nice, a bit thicker, but they do seem to last longer. I don't have a pair around, so don't have the number.

Back