What's new
What's new

My Piece of Heaven: Part 2

Thanks for the kind words guys. But to set the record straight, I am truly blessed. I have a strong faith in the Lord and all the credit goes to Him. I'm just happy He has lead me down a path that has been very rewarding. I know both the good and bad times are part of a bigger plan and with out His help I would truly be a lost soul.

All the talents and abilities we have are blessings from our Maker. It is, however, our responsibility to use them and not waste them. You, sir, have certainly done that!

It took a while, but I finally got my airlines plumbed in June(?) sometime. I went with copper. Install is a breeze and no leaks. I priced the fancy blue pipe, but I couldn't swallow the price. Copper and fittings came to around $400. Blues stuff would have been $1100 + depending how many drops I wanted. I know some guys think the world of that stuff and it sure looks purdy. I used "T"s at every intersection instead of couplers. Every "T" has a 1/2" FNPT. So where ever there is a need for air all I have to do is unscrew a plug and I'm off to the races. Install was less than 5 hours.

What are you using to hang it?
Those don't look like EMT "Mini's".

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The clips are made for 3/4 copper and 3/4 PEX tube. You can buy them at Menards or Home Depot. I made myself some little pedestals out of Ali to get the clips down far enough to allow the tube to clear the ribs of the steel and the EMT. The clips and the pedestals have a hole through them for a 3" sheet rock screw. Worked pretty slick.

Very nice. Why anybody would use anything besides copper is beyond me. Its kinda pricey, but like you said, compared to any decent alternative? not so pricey anymore. Easy to run. Available anywhere. Its the perfect air-line.

I agree, we also ran 1" copper then 1/2 reduce "TEE" at each machine. There is no steel in our are system. Just did not want to risk the rust.

What type of copper did you use?
Is this just typical copper water line?
I was under the impression that shouldn't be used for airline.

btm

Yep just regular water pipe. Can even use the medium wall stuff instead of the thicker wall. I have it in my shop as well, cept I ran 3/4" main line with 1/2" branch tee's. I did run 3/4 all the way to the mill though cause of the airgun on it.

As long as you know how to solder copper pipe good, it goes fast and pretty much leak free. Doesn't hurt to check all joints with soapy water to be sure though. nice clean look and easy to do and easy to modify later for more branches or what not.

Now I'm worried, When I set up shop it was too much for me to fork out for the blue stuff and for copper as well so my plumber friend came to help. He suggested I buy the material and he'll do the install as a gift. It was a nice gesture and gift.

So I got galvanized pipe, 1" main, and flex hose drops with bunch of Tee's. We ran the line up against the side of the wall about 6feet high, not as high as I'd like it to be but it was the most economical.

Now considering I'm running a rotary type Kaeser SX6 (smaller model) with 80 gal. tank, couple of condensate drainers in between conections, one electronic auto tank drainer in the bottom of my vertical tank, and the last thing out is a kaiser manual on/off dryer (small model). The machines have their small filter/regulators of course (haas, mori nl).

But the lines are galvanized as I said. So what is wrong with this setup, where is the danger, what about rust??? Im all worried now. Its been about 7 years now, please if anyone can point out the big dangers.
Im sorry if Im outta line here asking on this thread, but its out of small panic, when I read "rust". Thank you much..:willy_nilly:

Since this seems to be the "airline thread", and y'all like copper, how big have you gone and at what pressures?

Dare you run 2" @ 150#?
What would it be rated for?
Would this pass an OSHA inspection?

And has anyone ran the numbers on that against steel pipe?

I am concerned about a joint comming loose and all that energy just waiting to git out in a harsh way.
In pipe you are threaded together. Even if you have a leak - you are in no danger of it comming loose in your lifetime without someone un-threading it.

On the blue - I am guessing that there is something biting into the OD of the tube?

On sprinkler water line - those are grooved OD's for the couplers to connect to, and they don't see near the pressure.

???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The large plant that I retired had miles of black pipe air line. No galvanized. No copper. No plastic (except on machines and air hoses). I figured if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me.

Big B

Now I'm worried, When I set up shop it was too much for me to fork out for the blue stuff and for copper as well so my plumber friend came to help. He suggested I buy the material and he'll do the install as a gift. It was a nice gesture and gift.

So I got galvanized pipe, 1" main, and flex hose drops with bunch of Tee's. We ran the line up against the side of the wall about 6feet high, not as high as I'd like it to be but it was the most economical.

Now considering I'm running a rotary type Kaeser SX6 (smaller model) with 80 gal. tank, couple of condensate drainers in between conections, one electronic auto tank drainer in the bottom of my vertical tank, and the last thing out is a kaiser manual on/off dryer (small model). The machines have their small filter/regulators of course (haas, mori nl).

But the lines are galvanized as I said. So what is wrong with this setup, where is the danger, what about rust??? Im all worried now. Its been about 7 years now, please if anyone can point out the big dangers.
Im sorry if Im outta line here asking on this thread, but its out of small panic, when I read "rust". Thank you much..:willy_nilly:

My first shop had been built about 1910, with compressed air lines added to it about 1930. When I had the shop, the air lines were probably 50 years old, and they worked fine. We had to add some drops, and when we opened the lines up, we found only a very little rust and crud. Drain the condensate from your compressor regularly, and I doubt you will ever have any problems.

Since this seems to be the "airline thread", and y'all like copper, how big have you gone and at what pressures?

Dare you run 2" @ 150#?
What would it be rated for?
Would this pass an OSHA inspection?

And has anyone ran the numbers on that against steel pipe?

I am concerned about a joint comming loose and all that energy just waiting to git out in a harsh way.
In pipe you are threaded together. Even if you have a leak - you are in no danger of it comming loose in your lifetime without someone un-threading it.

On the blue - I am guessing that there is something biting into the OD of the tube?

On sprinkler water line - those are grooved OD's for the couplers to connect to, and they don't see near the pressure.

???

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

check out the handbook for copper tube. Even gives the solder joint strength.

I think that galvanized is probable fine for most applications. Copper was easier since I did not want to thread all the pipe for installing. Also all my lathes and mills have air misted bearings and I did not want to risk any rust.

http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

check out the handbook for copper tube. Even gives the solder joint strength.

I think that galvanized is probable fine for most applications. Copper was easier since I did not want to thread all the pipe for installing. Also all my lathes and mills have air misted bearings and I did not want to risk any rust.

A quick look through looks to me like you could maybe git away with it up to 120* air pressure as that seems to be what the "steam" rating is "IF you use the right brazing technique outlined in .........." (page 28)

One would like to think that a guy could get away with 125# of cooler air?

Not quite sure if it makes any difference what grade of copper is used though?

I am not challenging if it will work, just what code will say is OK as threaded pipe seems a magnitude safer.
(With gas filled under pressure - as opposed to liquid)

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:

Back