What's new
What's new

Nameplates & Metric Plate available

Just a note to Jim (and others) that this thread has been "unstuck", as a link to this thread has been added to the South Bend Links sticky-thread. Also, most current SB forum members have no doubt seen it by now.

Paula

How to remove brass drive screws?

I am in the process of restoring my 9" benchtop and was wondering how one goes about removing the drive screws to get the nameplate off with out damaging the nameplate itself?

I just removed mine earlier this year.... easiest way I found was to cut a slot in the head of the rivet with a dremel and cuttoff abrasive disc, just wide enough to fit a small screwdriver in and back them out like a regular screw.

I was also lucky enough to find an entire box of new ones here where I work, so replacement was easy!

Cheers and good luck,
Thadious

Plate removal

How does one remove the small rivets (?) that hold these plates in place? And what is recommended for re-installation?

More nameplates available

We've returned from vacation and I'm busy making new nameplates. I've added the 13" SB gearbox plate to the list of plates available.

Jim

Hi Jim

I have a light 10 with a chart #441-4 that is completly worn off. Can you post a picture of the #441-4? I am confused that my plate is not a #441-3. I would like to read the differances between them.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a photo of the 441-4. The difference is the recommendation for the Back Gear Quill and Cone Pulley. It says to use "Teflon Lubricant" and "Lubricate Annually".

Jim

Ordering Lathe Plates

Send me an email and I'll send you an information sheet and ordering information.

Jim

nameplate

I just received my nameplate today. My lathe is now complete. You did a wonderful job Jim, and would recomend you to anyone. Thanks so very much!

Lathe plates still available

I currently have patterns for about 20 different lathe plates. If I don't already have the correct pattern I can make one using a photo or an old plate. It takes a few days longer to make the plate if I have to make a new pattern.

The plates I make are etched brass like the originals, not a printed pattern, and include new fasteners with each plate.

Email for additional information.

Jim

11" SB information plate...patterns??

I see that you mention having patterns. I have a 11" SB and would like to get the info plate refurbished. Is that one that you would have a pattern for??

Also...what is the proper way to remove the plate without damaging it? Then who do I PM to get the replacement hardware to re-affix it.

The work that you do is awesome to say the least!

Best regards,
Sean G.

Removing the plates are easy.

The fasteners that hold the plate onto the castings are drive screws. If you aren't familiar with them, look them up on McMaster Carr. Try using a toenail clipper (that you don't care about) and latch onto the screws and pull hard. The screws make about a quarter turn as they come out of their holes. If you can't get them like that, Dremel a slot in the tops of the screws and back them out with a flat-blade screwdriver. I wish I had known about the toenail clipper method 24-hours ago before I destroyed mine by cutting a slot. Now mine will need to be replaced. But at least the index plates are off and ready to be refurbished.

-berga

Back