What's new
What's new

OT - Broken shoulder and rib

Richard King

Diamond
Good morning all. i mentioned in a thread im helping in that I broke my arm. Actually it's my Humerus bone just under the shoulder. It was an accident I had on my vintage lawn tractor i have at my cabin. the damn throttle stuck open on when i was turning...or something like that. it happened so fast im not 100% sure how it happened. but i hit the ground on my left shoulder and ended up on my back and couldn't move. luckily my wife heard me yelling help. she called 911 and they took me to the hospital in an ambulance. they x rayed me and pumped mefull of pain shots and sent me home. my wife drove me back home - 3 hours..last Tuesday, im typing funny as my left arm is in a sling, typing with one finger of my right hand. i have to have surgery next wed so they can screw and plate the bone together. they said if i didnt do the sergury i would never be able to use my left arm again or limited movement. hard to scrape if i don't have it done.

i have 2 classes coming up...one in June and one in July. my son alex will be teaching the class and i will be there to answer question. luckily I taught Alex to scrape and the last few years he has helped me teach. i was having issues standing up and a lot of pain up out of a chair, so ive rented a lift chair...man is it easy,,,,great invention. My bed for the next 6 to 8 weeks Plus thank goodness for pain pills..lol... i won't be on much next wednesday - friday i suspect. i'm sure i'll be itching to come back on....if not i'll get withdraw....lol....anyway...i told you. i had told ekretz...just in case i disappeared. with memorial day tomorrow I now have a new appreciation of how difficult it must be for the poor soldiers who have lost the use of limbs. god bless them.

Last edited:
As we get older every unfortunate event can turn into a big deal.
Hope you have a quick recovery.
Regarding the chair, I'm sure its great, but don't get too used to it.

Good morning all. i mentioned in a thread im helping in that I broke my arm. Actually it's my Humerus bone just under the shoulder. It was an accident I had on my vintage lawn tractor i have at my cabin. the damn throttle stuck open on when i was turning...or something like that. it happened so fast im not 100% sure how it happened. but i hit the ground on my left shoulder and ended up on my back and couldn't move. luckily my wife heard me yelling help. she called 911 and they took me to the hospital in an ambulance. they x rayed me and pumped mefull of pain shots and sent me home. my wife drove me back home - 3 hours..last Tuesday, im typing funny as my left arm is in a sling, typing with one finger of my right hand. i have to have surgery next wed so they can screw and plate the bone together. they said if i didnt do the sergury i would never be able to use my left arm again or limited movement. hard to scrape if i don't have it done.

i have 2 classes coming up...one in June and one in July. my son alex will be teaching the class and i will be there to answer question. luckily I taught Alex to scrape and the last few years he has helped me teach. i was having issues standing up and a lot of pain up out of a chair, so ive rented a lift chair...man is it easy,,,,great invention. My bed for the next 6 to 8 weeks Plus thank goodness for pain pills..lol... i won't be on much next wednesday - friday i suspect. i'm sure i'll be itching to come back on....if not i'll get withdraw....lol....anyway...i told you. i had told ekretz...just in case i disappeared. with memorial day tomorrow I now have a new appreciation of how difficult it must be for the poor soldiers who have lost the use of limbs. god bless them.
So sorry to hear this, Richard! Best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery.

i really screwed up, trying to save a few bucks. our cabin is part of an old resort that was broken up into condo's of an association of 4 cabins with the shoreline and common area owned by the group. We have a caretaker who lives across the road and cuts the others grass and the common area. my wife and i own the resorts original lodge that has approx . 1/2 acre of lawn. he told me he would cut our land for 40.00 a time. the lawn tractor came with our cabin, so i repaired it and it runs good. it must be 50 years old and the throttle cable was no longer available. the old one was stuck in it's outer covering, so i bought a new one for a newer model and made it work. the 18 hp mower engine ran fast ....to make a long boring story shorter...lol I should have sold the mower and paid the caretaker to cut and trim my grass. now i have to endure the pain for months and hopefully be able to scrape again. sucks.....moral to the story, when your old....spend some money and stop fixing old junk. that mistake has robbed me of my love of teaching. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tough break Richard, I'm 68 and still pinching pennies doing things I put myself at risk to do. One hospital visit will wipe any job savings out too. I'll learn one day when I stop denying my advancing age, probably at the ER. Hope you recover sooner than later and that enough ROM is restored to allow you to continue teaching. Scar tissue impairment (result of invasive surgery) can be reduced by a trained massage therapist.

Tough break. Pun intended. I hope you are better soon. As Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force, "a man has got to know his limitations." The older one gets the tighter those limitations are.

We do have 2 MDs as members who could tell you more then what i know. ..I was told the are going to do some sort of block on my spine and that will numb my left arm for 2 days. i also hope they give me some Oxycodone so i will feel no pain. No pain means higher then a kite so no measuring for me. I've been giving myself Lovenox shots for a couple days and i had to stop with my warfarin. i'll be knocked out for a few days i suppose. they said i'll be staying the night after the Wed afternoon surgery. i'll try to write friday if I can...if not, i'll be back sooner then later i hope.

When I had my prostate removed 5 years ago I was on morphine for a few days post operation. It was great, my back didn’t hurt anymore, my knees didn’t hurt anymore. I felt like 21 again ! Of course it didn’t last, once the meds were tapered down to nothing I was back to normal.

Good luck with it all Rich.

Regards Tyrone

When I had my prostate removed 5 years ago I was on morphine for a few days post operation. It was great, my back didn’t hurt anymore, my knees didn’t hurt anymore. I felt like 21 again ! Of course it didn’t last, once the meds were tapered down to nothing I was back to normal.

Good luck with it all Rich.

Regards Tyrone

Yes, it does relieve pain well. If only it didn't have that nasty side effect of stopping one's breathing at higher doses. I have found it to be about the only thing that helped my back pain. I'm hoping they'll derive a good synthetic painkiller that the doctors aren't afraid of prescribing eventually.

a couple of days ago the MN State legislature legalized pot...lol...maybe it will work....lol....i may have smoked it 50 years ago a little bit, but i gained weight and got parinoid back then. my choice of medicine back then was beer and rum and coke. lol....i gave that stuff up 10 years or so ago. now I have 2 beers and i get a hang over and pee like a race horse. i'm an ice tea, diet coke or water now. that reminds me. have to have a glass of water,,,no more until after the operation...at 2 30 PM tomorrow. good night.

a couple of days ago the MN State legislature legalized pot...lol...maybe it will work....lol....i may have smoked it 50 years ago a little bit, but i gained weight and got parinoid back then. my choice of medicine back then was beer and rum and coke. lol....i gave that stuff up 10 years or so ago. now I have 2 beers and i get a hang over and pee like a race horse. i'm an ice tea, diet coke or water now. that reminds me. have to have a glass of water,,,no more until after the operation...at 2 30 PM tomorrow. good night.

I'm sure you'll be in and out of there before you even know it. That's how my back surgeries were. Just a little sore after that 10, 9, 8, *snore* :D

Hard to like that post, but hope for a speedy recovery. Listen to the Doctor, he is every bit the professional in his trade that you are in yours.

Doctors at the hospital killed my friends wife. Recovering from Covid and sent her home to early to die two days later

Were negligent and missed a key moment in my wifes life that contributed to her death

last physical my doctor didn't stick his finger up the exhaust to check my prostate. So Insisted on a PSA test. He said despite the fact I'm 63 I didn't need one. Insisted I did and wasn't leaving until he added it to the blood test.
The PSA came back high, I have prostate cancer, albeit at a manageable stage. If I hadn't insisted on a PSA who knows what the outcome would have been.

During Covid my 86 year old mother in the UK was confined to her flat for 2 years without a single call from her GP to see how she was doing. No calls from nurses etc etc.
When the doctor did turn up I very nearly strangled the c***. luckily for her my two brothers didn't think murder was appropriate.

Last place I worked 1 in 10 people coming thru the door could do the job competantly, I think 1 in 10 doctors are up to the task. the others? No better then the machinist who regularly scraps parts.

Back