What's new
What's new

OT?-Need Advice on Engine Driven Welder

Went to go see the Big Blue 50 this afternoon, an auto body shop was selling it. They used to weld on semi truck frames or something, don't do that anymore and it's too much machine for them.

The only thing I could find fault was that the return lines on the engine were leaking a bit, that could probably be solved with just some small hose clamps. Has pretty new fluids, filters and a brand new battery.

It's an AC generator machine. Side of the machine says a CC model, but has a CC/CV switch on the face of the machine.

The leads are only 40ft long and rather small, but it's enough to use for right now. Eventually I think I'm going to want at-least 100' of #3 wire size as leads.

I ran a few tests beads, instead of opening the brand new box of rods I had just bought, I used some 7018 they had laying around. I'm not very familiar with the amperage controls, ended up running a bit hot. But the machine still acted like it should and didn't do anything suspicious.

Paid 3500 for it and will pick it up in a day or two. For as big a machine as it is, and being in decent shape, I don't think I did too bad. Considering that I was at an auction last week where two of the same model machines without leads and not being able to test them, went for 2500-3000 and they looked pretty beat up.

Back