What's new
What's new

Protecting surface finish while using a drill press.

Tenthholder

Plastic
I've come across something interesting I would like to share:

I was tasked to turn a brass disk with 6 holes, then countersink the holes using a drill press. The countersinks were to be deep enough for #10, flathead screws. Cosmetics were important to say the least.

Laying a rag on the drill press’ table helped protect the top of the part, but holding the part still was another matter.

There were over three hundred parts and I had plenty of time rethink how I would like to do this the next time.

Then I got an idea. Some type of gasket material. Later, I was in the supermarket when I noticed a package of jar openers. While this brand wasn’t a piece of sheet rubber. More like a lattice of foam rubber.

The next time the job came up, I was ready. The jar opener did solve two problems: protect the part’s finish, and counter rotation. However, the lattice allowed chips to collect. Giving the opener a good shake didn’t remove all the chips. A blow gun was several steps away. And my cycle time was short. Also, the jar opener deteriorated. A different material was called for.

Next, I ordered a piece of silicone rubber from eBay. This proved durable and effective at holding the part still. I should point out, I have been using a single flute countersink. This produces thick chips which in turn would get stuck in the silicone rubber. Switching to a six flute countersink produced finer chips. A few of these chips did got sandwiched in between the part & rubber. But left no marks.

Back