What's new
What's new

Rimfire Drum Magazines

Gatling Gun Feeding Mechanisms << Forgotten Weapons Has a paragraph on the Broadwell drum, mentioned it was patented. Search for the patent to get more details.

Ahhh I see, the Broadwell seems like a unique idea for a mounted gun, although I do like the Accles drum Magazine seems to solve the rimfire issue by spacing out the rounds with the turning hub actuated by the movement of the barrels, like an AK drum without the spring.

I think that may be the first step, designing that and sourcing out a proper spring that will keep the pressure high enough for constant feeding while still having the maximum amount of turns for capacity.

I think what is wanted is some manner of singulator. That could be something like a pinion or a rocking pawl. You just need to create a tiny separation prior to feeding.

GsT

Even in centerfire cartiges?

My understanding was that that is only true for shotguns? Didn't know rifles were okay too, would that also apply to bolt actions?

Far as I know it applies to centerfire as well. My stock-config Henry is 10 round tube, I've seen unrestricted pump-action rifles in 30 round centerfire as well. which is badass.

For rimfire I basically stick to my MkII. tiny, easily reloaded cheap magazines ftw.

Far as I know it applies to centerfire as well. My stock-config Henry is 10 round tube, I've seen unrestricted pump-action rifles in 30 round centerfire as well. which is badass.

For rimfire I basically stick to my MkII. tiny, easily reloaded cheap magazines ftw.

What caliber is your henry?

And I haven't seen any pump rifles with more than 5 here in Ontario, may be a provincial law here....

.44 mag chambering. the 30 round pump action I saw was a .223.

the laws are federal, administered by the CFC and RCMP. for the purposes of hunting, the "active" capacity is further restricted (typically to three rounds I believe?). that may have changed but the typical capacities are "fairly" clear. a bit of breakdown on the grey areas (the rimfire issue you mentioned earlier is one of them, thanks to oversight by Ruger and importation into our market): http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

basically the typical limits:

-rimfire unrestricted = unlimited
-centerfire manual = unlimited
-centerfire semi-auto = 5 shot
-restricted class = 10 shot

This looks like a hard one to be reliable. humm... lots of thinking to do. I like it!

There are plenty of old guns using rimmed rounds. Take a look at magazines for rifles using 8mm Lebel, .303 British, and 7.62x54r

The DP-28 and DPM drums come to mind...

DP-28 vs DPM << Forgotten Weapons

I've seen lots of these top mounted drums, but I'm thinking of something a little more compact with more capacity (Those large drums are only 50 rounds, I understand that .22 is a much smaller cartridge though) and would like to keep the magazine on the bottom, or even the side of the rifle (Similar to a STEN) It also seems that those magazines partially work on gravity to feed properly

.44 mag chambering. the 30 round pump action I saw was a .223.

the laws are federal, administered by the CFC and RCMP. for the purposes of hunting, the "active" capacity is further restricted (typically to three rounds I believe?). that may have changed but the typical capacities are "fairly" clear. a bit of breakdown on the grey areas (the rimfire issue you mentioned earlier is one of them, thanks to oversight by Ruger and importation into our market): http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

basically the typical limits:

-centerfire manual = unlimited
-centerfire semi-auto = 5 shot
-restricted class = 10 shot

Yes, that is what I have seen so far as well.

-centerfire manual Rifle/Shotgun = unlimited
-centerfire semi-auto Rifle/Shotgun = 5 shot
-restricted class (Pistol magazine) = 10 shot (Cases such as the LAR magazines)
-restricted class Rifle magazine = 5 shot (AR type firearms)

The real confusing part is the fact that we are only allowed 10 rounds in a .45 cal magazine, but we can put 12 rounds of 9mm in that same .45 cal magazine and its still legal to shoot... which is why the Beowulf .50 mags for the AR are sought after in Canada ($250 for a used one) because you can LEGALLY load them with upwards of 10 rounds as long as they are stamped for the Beowolf .50 rifle...

So basically, if there is a rifle with a commercial pistol variant (And in Canada, that just means "Is designed to be used with one hand" Hence the LAR "pistol", not that it can actually be purchased in Canada...) 10 rounds is legal as long as the magazines are designated for use with the pistol variant.

Loop holes all over the place. quite funny. I'm sure the folks on CGN are intimately familiar with them (hence the high resale prices on "loopy" magazines).

Loop holes all over the place. quite funny. I'm sure the folks on CGN are intimately familiar with them (hence the high resale prices on "loopy" magazines).

The amount of stuff we can legally get away with is astounding... although full auto is still a huge no no.... Apparently gattling guns are okay though (Manual firing) you can even buy the trigger piece to turn your 10/22 (Or anything else it will fit) into a crank fired gun.

Hello everyone,

I've posted here a few times with great response from many of you, and hope you have more valuable insight in this topic.

I am a CAD designer in Canada, so magazines are restricted to 5 rounds for rifles, and 10 for pistols, except for the case of rimfire rifles with magazines that can not be used in pistols in which there is no limit, (and after the Ruger situation we lost the 10/22 drums....) this is where the drum magazine comes in.

I would like to design a drum magazine or helical magazine (like the Russian Bizon SMG) for a rimfire rifle (Possibly designing a rifle for it as well off of a tried and tested design, but I digress)

I understand the difficulty of using a rimmed cartridge in this configuration, but surely there must be ways around this and my hopes are that I can rack your brains on the most effective and reliable system of doing this.

Thank you in advance,
Pictures, personal preferences and suggestions are always welcome!

Maybe something like this ?
I designed & built this 5 years agoMVC-005F.JPG

Back