What's new
What's new

South Bend 9 - A Rich Inheritance

The lettering on the boxes is not, I believe, stenciled.

It's hand lettered. The man had a lot of training as a draftsman at one time I suspect.

Your payment for this machine includes visiting him at his new residence as often as possible.
The sad truth is, residents at places like that get treated a lot better, if the staff knows that folks
will be stopping by unexpectedly. Frequently.

Very nice!
What are the threaded "washers" in the box, for? Some sort of "go/no-go" gauges?
Looks like you're all set- and then some with tooling.
That said, think about getting a nice QCTP. Setting cutters on center with those old lantern style holders gets insane if you're doing multiple operations requiring frequent changes.

He has the ultimate quick change now.
Multiple purpose made tool posts!! Not learning to use what's there would be a travesty...there is a lifetime of lesson there, don't squander it.

^^^
I see them in the drawer now.
Never heard of a two-speed, reversing 120v motor? Wonder if they approximate the factory spindle rpm's...

And I'm still wondering what I would do with a chuck I could index on a metal lathe?

Continued from above... (Part 2 of 2)

Sorry for the delay, but here is most of the rest of what was included in the boxes, cabinets and drawers which came with the lathe

A rotating multi-tool for the tail-stock, plus two custom taps John made for some job

y7bw2edo

A taper attachment - also made by John. This one I have yet to figure out. I have had it on the lathe and it works well, but it cuts deeper going left than it does going right. I need to figure out where the backlash is that's causing this.

y8jsbarw

Finally, all the stuff inside the cabinets and drawers

y6wlq4pl

y7njc5pc

y793tvox

yd9ry9ko

ycagndn6

yb3s3nob

y9au26ug

y82sg872

yd5xymr3

ybzta4q5

y8cvrdsg

y9qtuj3j

yao9jkmv

ya4mc6op

y6ud7wd2

ydbcumkr

y6v4wwxu

And to top it all off, a few books to make me an expert machinist ;)

yc3k5jko

Jim, you are right. He used a lettering template, not a stencil. Just a guide for the top and bottom of the rows. It was just John's nature to do everything with precision!

As for the visits - indeed we are and will continue to do this. Better yet, we try to make opportunities to bring him out to the shop and enjoy his old prize!

That's great Carl! I love that idea. And since I have a 2 year old grandson who is 45 years younger than me and already loves spending time in the shop, I think I have a plan :)

He has the ultimate quick change now.
Multiple purpose made tool posts!! Not learning to use what's there would be a travesty...there is a lifetime of lesson there, don't squander it.

I don't use the lathe for mass production, so that old lantern tool post, along with all those other purpose built tools works for me. So I'm with you, iwananwe10K, I have no need or desire to switch over to a multi-tool arrangement.

^^^
I see them in the drawer now.
Never heard of a two-speed, reversing 120v motor? Wonder if they approximate the factory spindle rpm's...

Not sure about the RPMs, but may put a strobe on it to see what kinds of speeds it produces. As for the reversible 120V motor, I'd guess you have a few of them in your house... ceiling fans, garage door openers, etc. I don't think there is anything too special there.

IMO, there's so much information and history in that collection, you can't absorb or appreciate it all right now. I'd strongly suggest setting up a recording device, PC & mic or whatever, and having John give you a quick verbal on every piece of tooling and any improvements he made. You'll treasure that recording in the future, and probably learn some things down the road you'd never think to ask now.

On the two speed reversing switch does switching from one speed to the other do anything? If not it was likely just a switch John had (Waste not want not).:D

Hi Ken. It is a 5-position switch and the motor does something different in each of the 5 positions.
Moving clockwise through the 5 positions, here is what they do...

1. Low-speed reverse
  2. High-speed reverse
  3. Off
  4. High-speed forward
  5. Low-speed forward

I would estimate high speed is about 2x the RPM of low speed.

I second the motion put forth by Conrad of more or less interviewing John for yourself, but maybe even hit him with 25 or so member submitted questions too??

Lathes have stories and history, and even a kind of spirit about them. Some are like seeing a ghost, and others (like this one) come across like the instrument of a rock star.

I think you did the good right thing in a big big way by introducing us with admiration and respect to the man and the machine , and I’m certain that should I happen to see your old South Bend from time to time in future posts, I’m always going to say to myself , “Ahh yes, that’s John’s lathe.”

It's because of that that if at all possible and not an inconvenience to anyone I’d like to know more if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Thanks

I second the motion put forth by Conrad of more or less interviewing John for yourself, but maybe even hit him with 25 or so member submitted questions too??

It's a great idea, John. I will be happy to relate any member questions to John (along with all of my own!).

John never has been on a computer, but my dad plans to bring him a copy of this post and read through it with him. I know he will get a real kick out of the idea that people all over the world are seeing, commenting on, and appreciating his lathe.

Each time we visit him, we have brought him some new tool or project I have completed with the lathe. You can see him light up when he holds it. I can't begin to imagine how much he misses the machine shop and tools which were at the center of his life for the past 60+ years, but I know it brings him joy to know this lathe is still "in the family".

He did an awesome job with the lathe. It has so many wonderful added features. He sounds like such a wonderful man. It would be great if you could get him to tell you all about it. There is so much there of interest to folks here (me included)it would be super to know how he made and or did a lot of these things.

re- the taper attachment...you can't make a cut and then crank it back to the beginning without it cutting on the way back...that's gonna happen if you don't withdraw the tool first before cranking back to the beginning.

I don't thaink it is a problem with the attachment. Try withdrawing the tool and then crank it back, readvance tool for next cut.

how about a closer pic of the tailstock?

and to answers tobnpr question about spindle indexing- crap loads you can do...make dials,fluting,gears,rig a tool post drill, use the lathe like a shaper,layout bolt patterns...the list is endless.

Last edited:
Gee Whizakers!! Guys, I have not posted in a LONG time but HAVE been reading and lurking. This SB9 that Pre64 has acquired is absolutely stunning and my jaw is STILL dropped (mouth open, probably NOT a pretty sight) as I view all the specialized tooling that John made for the lathe. Just amazing... Goodness, and I thought I had made a major score when I found a complete set of 3C collets for my SB9... but THIS!! OMG! I'm still shaking my head and wondering what I would do with such a jewel....

Please get John to tell you as much as he can about the lathe and tooling, and record all of it. A lot that he tells you will probably not make much sense until you get more experience.

Back