What's new
What's new

south bend collet draw tube?

gmcdeadhead

Plastic
im new to the forum, i bought a 1947 south bend 9A lathe , it came with alot of tooling , this collet draw tube does not fit this 9A lathe .the draw tube is to big, can any one tell me what i have here , thanks
over all lenght of draw tube is 20-3/4"
tube diameter is 1"
collet end dia at the threads is .845
i have 13 collets that go with it , 9 are south bend collets IMG_7577.jpg

More than likely from a "Heavy 10" or 10L lathe. The 10L and larger lathes had a 1-3/8" diameter spindle bore which could clear the 1" diameter tube.

im new to the forum, i bought a 1947 south bend 9A lathe , it came with alot of tooling , this collet draw tube does not fit this 9A lathe .the draw tube is to big, can any one tell me what i have here , thanks
over all lenght of draw tube is 20-3/4"
tube diameter is 1"
collet end dia at the threads is .845
i have 13 collets that go with it , 9 are south bend collets View attachment 390626
Both "regular 10" and 13 had 11/16 collets for years. These lathes had spindle bore listed as 1"
You can read about them here - thanks to Mr. Wells

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to scan and upload these catalogs and instruction manuals, they are a wealth of knowledge for me.

More than likely from a "Heavy 10" or 10L lathe. The 10L and larger lathes had a 1-3/8" diameter spindle bore which could clear the 1" diameter tube.
Length to diam ratio doesn't look right for a 10-L that takes 5C collets. So possibly for 10L (or 13") w/ 1-7/8 x 8 tpi spindle thread (11/16 max collet capacity) as described in JO's post above.

My 10L drawbar for 2-1/4 x 8 tpi spindle (5C collet), is 1-3/8 OD tube and is about 11.5" long. That length refering to the 1-3/8 OD tube length that is exposed. IOW from 45* lip to end of tube.

EDITED TO ADD: OA length of my drawbar is 15.5"

I would image if drawbar is for 11/16 max collet (10L lathe), length will be somewhere in a similar range. If several inches longer likely for a 13" perhaps?

Last edited:
Those (in your pic) are not 5C collets. Are there any markings on the faces of the collets indicating what they are?

One of those collets is different from the others. What is the diam range (collet capacity) of the collet lot?

With the length and OD of drawbar am guessing its for a 13"?

The collets only say 2a on the side, and then on the face it says the diameter, there’s like three of them that are different but 9 of them are south bend , the diameter at the threads is .845 and I think it 20 threads per inch , I’m not at home now to get a good look

They are South Bend 2A collets.
Threads are .850-20-RH, overall length is 3-5/16, and they go up to 11/16 in round.
Certain South Bend 10" and 13" lathes used those.

Steve

The collet closer you have as Mr. Oder described is more than likely for a 13R 11/16" collet lathe. That headstock used a #2 SBL collet that interchanged with a 2A collet. The spindle length of the 13R is 19-3/16". The #2 collet thread OD is 0.857 and 20 tpi.
The collet tube you need for your Workshop lathe should fit a SBL #3 collet and interchange with a 3C collet. The thread OD of a #3 collet is 0.642 and 26 tpi. The head angle is 12 degrees, and large end is 0.852, the body OD is 0.6495. Your headstock spindle length is 12-1/4". You will need a 3C collet adaptor for the spindle.

if anybody has the 3c hand wheel,nose cap, and closing sleeve,and some 3c collets for my 9" lathe . id trade with someone if there interested in them

Suggest you contact this man here:

I think he has nearly what you want.

im gonna put mine in the for sale section of this forum , let these guys here get first crack at it , then off to ebay,

Back