What's new
What's new

Toolchanger issue on Sharp SV2412 need help

2SMperformance

Plastic
I recently purchased a 2007 Sharp SV2412 vertical mill back in spring and had it delivered to my house, I had to unbolt the Z axis drive servo motor and unclamp the coupling to get it to fit under my garage door opening.

I wired up my phase converter and everything works great on the mill except the 10 tool umbrela tool changer will not perform a tool change when I command it to. I enter “T2 M06;” insert and cycle start but nothing happens.
The cycle start button stays green and the green light on the top of the machine flashes until I hit the reset button on the controller.

Here is a video for a good visual reference:

The spindle doesnt attempt to rapid to tool change position on Z and the controller doesn’t seem to be running the macro program for the tool change.
I checked the program directory and the tool change program is there as O9001.

I replaced the batteries and performed the procedure to reset my axis home 0 reference positions using parameter 1815 but that hasn’t helped the tool change issue.

The tool changer still orients through all 10 tool places when I zero return all axis’ home and I can jog it around, but it will not slide over towards the spindle. My spindle also orients with M19 just fine. Im also getting good air pressure l.

Does anyone know what this problem could be? I know it worked before I bought the mill. I am losing time and money dealing with this. Do I need to manually reset the tool change position? Would love to hear some suggestions and get the issue resolved.

I have a 2005 2412 Do the arrows line up when the machine is homed.

also if you home the machine the tool position on the red counter should stop at number one. Yours is at number 2 is the machine homed.

Also check if the phases are correct The ONLY way to know if they are correct is to turn on the coolant pump and it should turn the same direction as the arrow on coolant pump fan.

Last edited:
Some builders install a limit switch that must be on when the axis retracts to the toolchange position. If the home position if off then the switch will not be on and inhibit the toolchanger. Does your machine have something along those lines?

I also own a Sharp mill, It would not do a tool change In MDI. I have a program I leave In the control memory for doing manual tool changes. I edit the tool # and run it...

I run programs all day long so no biggie, its rare I need to do a manual change..

What control do you have ? The older OMd might need

T2
M06

Then cycle start

On mine I type it as T2M6; insert, cycle start. no 0, but I can't imagine that would matter?
If the last tool call was the same as the one you're trying to call, it of course won't do anything.
Mine does have a 9xxx program in there the tech typed in, but I don't know what it is, maybe it was for these MDI changes, I've no idea.
To run the spindle in manual mode for the first time of the day after I do the S2000; insert, cycle start it does nothing until I hit Reset.
Then the forward/reserve buttons on the control work, and when change the speed in MDI I don't have to do reset again after that. A bit weird but it's the only cnc mill I ever ran.
On mine when I set tool heights the Z tool offset has to be on zero. Something to be extra careful with when setting a new tool if one breaks during a job, gotta make damn sure to put Z offset back in, probably a parameter that should be changed but oh well.

The tool changer on mine started making a louder clunk when it opens/closes now, I wonder if a little rubber bushing/bumper maybe fell out or what, I can't find anything in there and it works so I ain't digging too deep.

Actually on my sharp, if I call the same tool as in spindle it will grab it, remove it and put it back in. I have a very early one based on my serial #.

Put a tool change command in a simple program and run it. See of it will do it. That will help you determine what you need to do.

Assume nothing...

I have a First MCV300 (same mill, I think they manufactured the Sharp brand). I do the same process as you and I can do manual toolchanges through MDI. "T2M6" <EOB> <insert> <cycle start>

Have you homed all of the axes AND tool changer prior to trying a tool change? I see some lights flashing (my guess is the X, Y, Z lights). Not sure if this is a requirement for the tool change.

I didn't notice at first, you type "M06T4". Try it the other way around as "T4M6" ??

Also home the machine first (as I posted above) to rule that out...

I have a First MCV300 (same mill, I think they manufactured the Sharp brand). I do the same process as you and I can do manual toolchanges through MDI. "T2M6" <EOB> <insert> <cycle start>

Have you homed all of the axes AND tool changer prior to trying a tool change? I see some lights flashing (my guess is the X, Y, Z lights). Not sure if this is a requirement for the tool change.
When I reference all Axis home, the tool changer umbrella cycles through all of the pocket stations.

I also own a Sharp mill, It would not do a tool change In MDI. I have a program I leave In the control memory for doing manual tool changes. I edit the tool # and run it...

I run programs all day long so no biggie, its rare I need to do a manual change..

What control do you have ? The older OMd might need

T2
M06

Then cycle start
I have the Oi Mate-MC

I have tried to follow the steps for changing the tool change height thinking that may fix the problem, but when I callup “M30 Z0.; T02M06;” and hit cycle start nothing happens other than the light on top of the machine starts blinking yellow and the M02/M30 status light starts blinking above the E stop button.
Does anyone know what else the problem may be?

Thats a great question, how do I know if it is or not?

can you manually pull the umbrella into both change and retract position? and there should be a prox switch at both ends.
Someone else had similar issues. The machine was moved and the changer shifted off the retract position and didn't notice
it.

Back