What's new
What's new

victoria milling machine gearbox breakage

macsonboy

Aluminum
hi all ,, i need help in a big way. first up i have a Victoria U2 mill .. after purchase i started to clean and inspect and horror!! i saw what looked like a broken gear inside the gearbox inside the knee. after much digging and cleaning and finally disassembling i found not a broken gear but a broken gear selector. i am putting photos on .. now what can anybody out there tell me that may help me to make a new one. the old one is good for a stencil but is beyond welding as it has been done before ,, it would end up being a patchwork quilt if done again and prone to breaking. i need to know do i use mild steel?? bronze?? cast iron??.. i have a huge lump of steel put aside for those special occasions but it would be a lot of milling i imagine? any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

Attachments

• 20230716_165310.jpg
    20230716_165310.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230716_165332.jpg
    20230716_165332.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230716_165355.jpg
    20230716_165355.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230716_165416.jpg
    20230716_165416.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230716_165421.jpg
    20230716_165421.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230716_165447.jpg
    20230716_165447.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 76
Its been broken multiple time.....why? ......is it overrunning the table stops and jamming up? .......not much point fixing it ,if its going to jam up again...........the weld repair appears well done ,and in no way a bodge ..........I d be inclined to fix whats there ,as the existing weld doesnt appear to have failed.

Its been broken multiple time.....why? ......is it overrunning the table stops and jamming up? .......not much point fixing it ,if its going to jam up again...........the weld repair appears well done ,and in no way a bodge ..........I d be inclined to fix whats there ,as the existing weld doesnt appear to have failed.
What he said :giggle: (y)

Sorry I can't help much as Victoria's knee works perfectly and have not had to take it apart. Only had to adjust the backlash in the table feedscrew.

Gday John,,, i don't know the history of what may have happened because the previous owner died , but thanks anyway!

Welding cast iron like that's pretty tricky - it looks like possibly one of the original repair welds failed, and the gear got out of alignment with its mate, and that broke the other side off - the side with the dutchman.

Best approach I believe is a newly-machined piece.

Welding cast iron like that's pretty tricky - it looks like possibly one of the original repair welds failed, and the gear got out of alignment with its mate, and that broke the other side off - the side with the dutchman.

Best approach I believe is a newly-machined piece.
G'day Jim,, i tend to go along with your idea.. any clue what material to use?? i was going to use steel

I wouldn’t rule out a weldment. Just because that welded part failed doesn’t mean a fabricated part would fail. As noted above, someone likely failed to weld that cast part correctly. However regardless of how you fix it, making a really strong selector will force something else to break unless you figure out what is causing it. The new broken part might be less desirable if it’s a splined shaft or the gear.

Of course it's a casting. It should have been brazed to fix it. No matter how careful, the weld will crack where it gets to parent metal. Hard part will be drawing the part as it was originaly designed, make it out of 1018 steel.

It's problematic to scan and print from the existing part, because the geometry is wonky now from the failed repair - it needs to be reversed engineered a bit.

A very tricky part ....as there seems to be a gear mesh dimension in the mix.......IMHO,no alternative to fabricating a part from steel with weld...........or finding a used part .....the Victoria #2s are quite a common machine ......unfortunately due to the recent high scrap price ,very few cast iron machines of any kind are still about.

Back