What's new
What's new

What should I expect a Job to cost?

Swappart

Plastic
I rebuild and sell automotive lock sets. I frequently have to deal with wafers which are corroded into the cylinder cores. The cores are made of ZAMAK, and once I get the wafers out, a quick dip in muriatic acid makes everything good as new. My current method is using a hammer and a ground down punch to knock them out. It's not the easiest way to go about it. So, I have the need for a couple of custom tools. The first would be some kind of attachments so I could do this with an arbor press. I would want the profiles to closely match the wafers so as to maximize contact area. To put size into perspective, I've added a picture. They're just under a mm thick. Of course, before I can press the wafers out, I have to get the core out. The cover I think is 0.01" 430 stainless. I can get them off by uncrimping the edges, but it's very time consuming. And putting them back on isn't much easier. I'm thinking they're rolled on, and I'm hoping to have some tool which could roll them off much like a tire is removed from a rim. I would want that same tool to also be able to put them back on. I've attached pics of a GM trunk lock I encounter a lot. They sometimes look worse, but they look almost new when I'm done. The pic of the disassembled one is what they look like after cleaning with acid. The third tool would be a punch which could be used to make new rubber gaskets like the one pictured. They're about 32mm in diameter. I'm located in the Buffalo, NY area and depending on what the cost would be, I'm pretty much ready to move forward on getting these made. I know without design plans, nobody is going to be able to give me an exact quote. I really just want an a lower and upper range of what I could expect. Thanks in advance for your time.

20220401_220913.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Back