What's new
What's new

What uses for ultrasonic cleaners?

We use it do clean the mold components during a mold overhaul. Great for removing gas buildup, corrosion, resin, etc. in tight spots.
The Yuasa unit we use can only work with their propriatary cleaning agent. Super alkaline stuff with a pH over 14 even when diluted 1 to 1 with water. That stuff is about $500 for 18 liters. It takes 3 jugs to refill the tank when the stuff gets nasty after about 2 or 3 months, plus we have to dispose of it as hazardous waste.

Also works for other then cleaning. Had spray can (rattle can) of open gear lube that didn't work because the grease had gelled of became of consistency that it wouldn't come out of nozzle.
Sat can in ultrasound (filled with water or whatever) After a few minutes the grease was broke up enough to spray out of the nozzle. Ultrasound also works for breaking up and mixing things in jars like touch up paint.
Gary

What solvents are safe to use in a UC (won't introduce an explosion hazard due to increased varporization)? The instructions that came with mine specifically said not to use (non-acqueous) solvents, even though it has a stainless steel tub.

Similarly, one poster mentioned using HCl and H2PO4 solutions. I'd be afraid to do that anywhere within 100 feet of my shop.

-Dave

Similarly, one poster mentioned using HCl and H2PO4 solutions. I'd be afraid to do that anywhere within 100 feet of my shop.
I have no problem with an ultrasonic cleaner filled with AC-500 (a phosphoric acid-based cleaner) within 5 feet of "my" $170K wire EDM. Phosphoric acid doesn't give off corrosive fumes.
The DI water in the WEDM does tend to corrode steel workpieces at times, though.. :D

Back