What's new
What's new

whats the best software for a someone new to cnc?????

I think you should describe what you want to make and then it would be a lot easier to recommend what you should get. There is a butt load of machinists on here that pretty much know how to make anything so you're more than likely to get a good answer on how to do it.

If I was just getting into CAD/CAM, and had to fork out my hard earned cash, I would look at Rhino (Modeling tools for designers) with madCAM (MadCam Start page). There is a lot of "bang for the buck" there. If you want to spend a little more, throw SpaceClaim in there and there will be nothing that your son can't conceive of, design, model, render if he wishes, and cut.

I do agree with all the posters who suggested he familiarize himself with G-code. That's the equivalent of learning to read before deciding to become an author. Hard to do without the basics!

Just my opinion of course.

Dan

I guess I'm old school.

I think you need to learn to walk before you can run. Learn what Gxx and Mxx do and be able to tell where your machine is going and what it's going to do before you punch green button. I know most CAM programs have some type of verify but they don't verify the G code, just the program. Many simple errors can be edited at the machine instead of re-posting after the crash.

You can operate the MDI just like you would a manual machine with power feed. Doing so for about 2 weeks on some real jobs and a lot of things will be second nature.

I think I'd rather sit down and write the code, study it, backplot it, get the wrecks out, then run through it on the machine in single block.

I read somewhere on here once, that I think stated it best.

The difference between hand coding and cam is the same difference between long hand math and a calculator.

I am teaching my right hand guy right now and am making him go through a book called "The CNC workbook". You can pick it up cheap on amazon. It goes through all you need to know about the basics of G and M codes and has plenty of exercises to get you up to speed on basic parts.
After that I would really recommend getting a good cam system and working with that. You need to know all your codes so you can trouble shoot and avoid problems, but after that hand coding for most parts is just too time consuming. I use onecnc and love the fact it has a good modeling system built in.

Hey, exactly what kind of machine is it? I've run a Bridgeport knee-mill with servo's and a Boss DX32 control, but currently I'm working on a 760/22 VMC with the same control.

Honestly, I think you should have him learn to write NC code by hand before giving him CAM software. Boss controls have a lot of features and nuances that are not common to more modern controls. Although, Bridgeport/Boss controls are powerful and rather common in some areas, they are still confusing to users who are more accustomed to Fanuc controls or manual machine techniques.

My particular model supports 3-axis feed moves and the machine is accurate to tenths, however this may not always be the case. I also want to point out that the NC code syntax is particularly different from most other controls. Even the drill cycles are non-standard G-codes plus loops and sub-programs work differently from many standard control syntaxes.

In my opinion is would be much more healthy for him to understand NC code before learning a CAM program, in the same way that manual machine experience can benefit a CNC programmer or Machinist.

There are many nuances to each CNC control and an abundance of mechanics to CNC controlled cuts and having an understanding of those concepts in addition to a strong ability with your chosen CAM program is essential to being a well-rounded CNC machinist.

I think a good cadcam program is more about enhancing productivity than it is about learning the fundamentals of cnc or machining. That is why I think something as outdated as an early version of Bobcad, which barely has any automated functionality, makes a good teaching tool. And if you have to sweat the details of making a post work for some arcane controller, so much the better for learning what post processors have to cope with. That is part and parcel of foundational cnc knowledge.

I would agree with Hu,

I'd take Bob up on his offer for the free BobCad. With BobCad, although it's a dinosaur, it posts the G code as you write the program. The code isn't hidden in the background. He would be able to see the code generated immediately. It would do two things. He would still have to familiarize himself with the basics but he could make something a little quicker. Sometimes it's hard to keep a young guy from getting bored. When you get that machine hooked up, he is going to want to make something,..... right now. Have him put a logo or his name on the screen, vectorize it and engrave it. He will be hooked for life.

I'm in agreement with the others that learning G code basics are essential and as Hu mentioned an old version would help with that. I'd also second the recommendation for the CNC book by Peter Smid, great book to have for reference.

After he has the basics and wants to move up a notch a good choice would be OneCNC. They have several different packages and you can upgrade at any time as his skill level increases.

Pete

bob sent us the bob cad we got it today and he is already hook so much so i'm thinking about selling these old machines and buying him a much newer one
I would agree with Hu,

I'd take Bob up on his offer for the free BobCad. With BobCad, although it's a dinosaur, it posts the G code as you write the program. The code isn't hidden in the background. He would be able to see the code generated immediately. It would do two things. He would still have to familiarize himself with the basics but he could make something a little quicker. Sometimes it's hard to keep a young guy from getting bored. When you get that machine hooked up, he is going to want to make something,..... right now. Have him put a logo or his name on the screen, vectorize it and engrave it. He will be hooked for life.

I'm in agreement with the others that learning G code basics are essential and as Hu mentioned an old version would help with that. I'd also second the recommendation for the CNC book by Peter Smid, great book to have for reference.

After he has the basics and wants to move up a notch a good choice would be OneCNC. They have several different packages and you can upgrade at any time as his skill level increases.

Pete

I'm gonna toss in my $.02 (valued about $.0000003). I didn't read everything... I'm assuming that the young lad has experience on your manual machines? Obviously knowing about cutting materials is far most important. I worked with a guy that went straight to cnc programming and acted as though he didn't know where to begin with a manual machine.

It is best if you have manuals for the controls and the machines in question. All vary at least slightly. Print or copy the lists of g-code and m-codes. It would be nice if said lists would include the family groups and which codes are modal and one-shot.

Start with basic movements... lines, arcs, rapid positioning, etc... And then get him familiar with seting coordinates and tool data. Buy some polyethylene and start playing. It's cheap and soft.

I'd say that in my opinion, the ability to program manually, on a pc or at the machine, is very important. I know someone who jumped straight to buying cam software and doesn't have a clue about the actual program lines. He has been playing with his little cnc mill for quite a while and still has a hard time with things.

I program everything manually and don't even know if I could care much about cam software. But that is only an opinion.

It may not be as powerful as some of the others but Dolphin cam is a very good program for newbies just starting.

I started off learning g-code through NC plot, which has a free trial version. It simulates the code and tells you if you have any errors or if you are going to make an expensive mistake (hopefully).

www.ncplot.com

There are many things, that will make a big difference, in your son's future success.
Can he visualize the basic, and/or more advanced shapes? Can he make isometric sketches of parts, with dimensions? Does he have a good, working
grasp of trig., that will allow him to calculate, the points of tangentcy, and
intersection. Is the plan, to design parts, or just to program from a customer's
print?
As has been mentioned, a working knowledge of M, and G codes will be very helpful, when it is necessary to either edit code, or write simple lines, to the existing program.
I, would believe that the idea of becoming a programmer, via a sweeper's job,
would be waste of time. There will be plenty of time to push a broom, on slow days, or while a machine is cutting.
Stress safety!! It is easy to get a finger cut, or severed around equipment,
that does not require a pair of hands to be on the "cranks".
Good luck,
Bob

BobCAD V24 Standard

Everyone will have a different voice about what is the best way to start. But we all agree knowing about the G-code, how to write it and what it does will make your son a better programmer in the future.

1) Having a basic G-code editor and back plotter is a great place to start. There are many options to choose from for this time of software and the cost is very low. Being able to hand write code and plot what it will do on the machine helps to learn G-code and ways you can use it .

2) CAD; you need to look at a basic cad package that will allow you son to draw some part concepts and help to work out the math for writing the code by hand.

Video Example: CAD For Code - adepoalo's library

I would recommend using a mechanical based CAD package

3) Basic CAM; you don't need all the bells and whistles of a high end CAM package, you would want to keep it simple. Learning to crawl, walk, run. I feel BobCAD is a great solution, it covers all the basics he would get into and offers 3D features for future projects.

BobCAD's place in the industry is a starting point. It has a broad range of features that covers CAD CAM and Simulation, some shops never need anything else. It's low cost and arguably easy to use. BobCAD did just release a video training program that would walk your son through the basics of design and machining so he can learn at his own pace.

You could also easily choose Rhino and Visual mill / Rhino CAM, or any other number of lower cost systems.

I happen to work for BobCAD, so I am partial to it. Having worked with clients just like yourself for years now, I know BobCAD would be an option for you.

If there is anything I can help to educate you about the BobCAD please feel free to PM me.

Al

Know the Code...

I would go along with all the other suggestions of a text editor and text on G/M Codes. Knowing the code will pay huge dividends when standing in front of the controller trying to figure out why the spindle went in a direction not quite expected.

Chazsani

PS: I miss my Ex-Cello. Had to work on a beat up Bridgeport to fix some 304ss parts. No low gear. Way locks slide. R8 collets... Please shoot me.

Back