What's new
What's new

WorkNC vs. Powermill (3ax), which and why?

Rest material visualization seemed to offer two options: a less than useful mesh draped over the part or a low-res approximation of what's left.

Don't be to fooled by this in my opinion, Powermill and a handfull of others are the same way, the mesh draped over the model is usually used for restmachining using a "stock model". There are ways to "tighten" up the mesh and triangulation for graphics purposes, however for the demo's I would imagine they keep a somewhat of a loose tolerance on things to speed thing up for you.

Most of your WorkNC concerns with the demo have been answered, but I'll add a couple other comments.

"He also claims no subroutine support and no work coordinate support for posting into different systems (G54, G56 etc.) I'm hoping this can't be true."

I'm not 100% sure what kind of subroutines you need, but as for posting with G54, G55 etc., we do this all the time with WorkNC. It's a simple post edit and you are good to go. Maybe you are looking for a button or checkbox and that's why it seems to be lacking? Just make a post and add it to your post list. Then just chose the one you need. Does this make sense, or have I missed the point?

"Also speed/feed optimization seems to be missing, unless it's part of the optional NCSpeed module."

If you mean automatic adjustment of speeds and feeds based of off topography, chip load etc. yes, NCSpeed does that. However, as mentioned, building a good tool library will help automate the process. Using the correct toolpath (I count 61 different types of paths if you include the simultaneous module) will also eliminate some of the issues of not having default optimization.

"Another deal breaker is lack of G8x support without buying a separate module. I mean really, extra $$ to use G84?"

I think this is wrong. The only optional module we have is for simultaneous 5-axis milling. I have the automatic feature recognition for hole drilling set up and running every day. There was no additional expense to produce G8* cycles, G20* cycles for Heidenhain etc. However, setting it up was no small task. Maybe the reseller has a package available where you pay them to configure this?? I don't know, I'm just guessing, but I know this was no additional expense to us.

"simulation looks really chunky and Rest material visualization seemed to offer two options: a less than useful mesh draped over the part or a low-res approximation of what's left."

I agree, the graphical simulation looks a little dated. However, the machine simulations are top notch, it's just the material removal that seems to be more like an oil painting with some runny colours! :-) By contrast, madCAM's visualization of material removal is far superior, and it's an inexpensive plug-in for Rhino!!

As for the rest model, it is a simple representation, but remembering the purpose behind it, it does the job quite well.

My biggest beef about WorkNC is lack of a forum like this dedicated to WorkNC. It would be great to chat with fellow users worldwide to get feedback, help and maybe even help someone else with an answer or 2.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thank you for all the followups everyone. Most of the questions seemed to be answered.

I think many of the questions were answered. I would like to address the G8X question - all versions of WorkNC (at least in the U.S.) includes automatic feature recognition for holes, as well as manual hole methods, both of which include the ability to post G8x. It's normally part of all standard licenses.

Jeff J - Sescoi USA

My biggest beef about WorkNC is lack of a forum like this dedicated to WorkNC. It would be great to chat with fellow users worldwide to get feedback, help and maybe even help someone else with an answer or 2.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Dan,

We had a forum quite a few years ago, but it got little use. We have explored doing one again, and certainly we will if enough people came forward and said they would use it.

One of our biggest fears with a forum is that someone will have a real technical issue, and post it there, where the forum may not get checked as often, thus delaying a response, rather than the customer using the more immediate support mechanisms.

Jeff J - Sescoi USA

Hi Jeff,

I remember that forum. It was pretty slow paced. You have a valid point about people with technical issues.

There was a WorkNC forum for a brief while on another forum, but for some reason it disappeared one day without explanation. It actually was starting to get some traffic too.

Dan

I must say having a forum specific to your software is very nice, I jump on Pmills forum on a regular basis, there are tons of usefull things on every time, the moderators are delcam staffers who will answer general questions on a regular basis. Many guys even post their macros for you to use and other little V.B. programs, which is a nice touch.

Hi Harri
The cutter library allows you to enter a surface speed for a known material and the feed per tooth for the type of operation your want to perform. The cutter library is key to automating your cutter paths later on. Obviously everone has their prefered suppliers for the types of cutters they use, it allows you to enter all this info incl order/part numbers. The key to building a cutter library is that you can edit a particular cutter for one material change the parameters to suit another material and simply save it in another library for the new application. Library supports all types of cutters like tapered, reinforced, undercut lolipop and will collision check 100% reliably the cutter against gouges as well as the holder.

Bit stumped on sub routines, do you need them in a CAM package? To me they are something you do on a machine control to save entering lots of data, where's a CAM package will just crunch the numbers. Can you explain more? G54 shifts are not something I do as practicly everything I make is one off. If you want multiple parts you could, as a work around, either model the multiple parts and machine them, or cut & paste your code in a text editor with the shifts in there. Work NC do have a module called multi part machining that does just that, something you can look that up if that's what you need?

Speed and feed optimization is, in my opinion something you refine in your library with experience of the type of work you do, it's always a balancing act between cutter life, work quality and machining time. Get it right and you will never ever break a cutter. To improve matters if your machine supports them you can post G05.1 surface finish G05.2 data smoothing.

I have a late Hurco that's so easy to drill & tap one off parts that, for me, I can't see any advantage in CAM programming them. I can switch from nc code to conversational with the same set up on the VMC. I do know for a fact WNC has a drilling manager with feature recognition that should do what you want but I've no experience of it.

Believe it or not but I hardly ever use the simulation or rest material viewers, and I agree they do look clunky. If I have any part to make the best way to approach it, in my opinion, is to quickly but thoroughly inspect it with the analysis functions, this will tell you everything you need to know about the part, you can then select a previous machining sequence to use, or tweak a little, to get the job done. When you rough out the stock model will get the next smaller cutter to remove just the areas left, move onto the flat surfaces and finish them, finish machine, maybe optimise some paths and finally rest material machine what's left, job done, all in a saved sequence specific to the material being cut. Any issues with cutter lengths the tool holder collision will tell you straight away so you will know safe cutter lengths. Check it with the simulation if you really want to.

A few questions for you.
What sort of prototype work do you do and what quantities?
What machine will you be using?

The reason I ask is we have a SWI dual purpose mill that is both 2 & 3 axis and for prototype work it takes some beating.
Like 5 axis Fidia guy said, CAM packages make hard things easy but can make easy things hard

John

71bsab50,

Please go into depth on the cutter libraries for feeds for different materials on work nc. Obviously feeds and speeds will be different for aluminum than steel. Just wondering what the best strategy would be to make it fool proof. Thanks!!!!!!!

Harri,

I'd be interested to hear why you dismissed NX, ALL of the points you've raised are easily dealt with within NX CAM.

Dan,

We had a forum quite a few years ago, but it got little use. We have explored doing one again, and certainly we will if enough people came forward and said they would use it.

One of our biggest fears with a forum is that someone will have a real technical issue, and post it there, where the forum may not get checked as often, thus delaying a response, rather than the customer using the more immediate support mechanisms.

Jeff J - Sescoi USA

Has a new forum ever been setup for work nc users to utilize and have forum members share tips and ideas for things that can be down with work nc ? would really love to see a forum based for work nc software.

Old post, but so far near the end of 2017 there is still no forum that I know of. If anyone knows of one, I'd like to hear about it too.

Back