What's new
What's new

yet another STUPID video from practical machinist youtube page

But you didn't watch the video so you don't really know what it was about.
So you made me watch that whole damn thing, thanks, if you ever come visit I'll have someone meet you at the airport ...

greeter.jpg

You can teach someone to fish or you can direct them to aisle three in the frozen food section, look for the box that says Mrs Pauls. All they did was say "if the cut is this deep, look on our website and buy this insert. If it's that deep, buy this other one."

I am more of a believer in basics, learning the how and why of things.

It was also kind of funny that at the end they said "Don't use these canned cycles, do the finish pass like this instead." But prior to that their whole schpiel is "Use this canned cycle for that operation", cookbook-style. I guess they can't make up their minds.

Worse than useless, as far as I'm concerned. Probably lovely for people who do not care about what they do, just follow the recipe, which has its place ... but it's not a place for people who want to understand what is going on.

Worse than useless, as far as I'm concerned. Probably lovely for people who do not care about what they do, just follow the recipe, which has its place ... but it's not a place for people who want to understand what is going on.
I wasn't saying that you personally would get something out of it. I said it was a good and helpful video.

I think people here greatly overestimate how much the average employee in this industry (or any job for that matter) knows or really cares to know about their job. That would be a good video to show the average machinist in a shop. The fact that you, or so many others want to debate the relative merits of the content means you're far off on the right side of the bell curve.

If the average shop owner could find ten employees who cared and nitpicked as much as you guys, they could take over the world.

Back