What's new
What's new

A Monarch CK is found !

Couple of updates: first, and most important :D the poison ivy was apparently mis-identified as poison maple-root, only known to affect certain species of badger :D and I have no ill effects.

Took out the trans dipstick and the fluid smells like, well, trans fluid. It is not dark or discolored. The Turbo 400 is one tough cookie

Further investigation shows that a vacuum line that's hooked up to the trans is quite close (too close) to the exhaust downpipe and got fried....but I can fix that rather easily.

I also have lots of oil leakage from the rear oil pan (identified when I first got the truck in Dec), possibly the rear main, although the torque converter exterior is dry as a bone. It's possible that with all the oil at the back end of the pan with the truck pointed up the hill, some oil got dripped or slung on the downpipe as well, as the ring-gear/flexplate bottom cover is long gone, a victim of a former owner or quickie oil change place....

Slight update on the lathe...with a little scotchbrite, a flat-blade carbide scraper, some liberal application of way oil things are in pretty good shape!

One thing that suprised the heck out of me was an inscription on the low flat land near the front V-way and the front tailstock flat way, down near where the serial number is stamped into the bed. With a centerpunch someone had "inscribed" GA TECH and a 5 digit number into the bedway like a crude asset tag.

Guess it's closer to home now

What's your GA TECH asset number? I'll go look at mine and see if they were maybe close together in their former lives.

Both of my lathes are from GT; I'm hoping they're smarter than me.

Rob

Nice lathe. I have one too, made in 1943. I bought mine 10 years ago this July and never regretted it. In the last 10 years she has done everything I have asked of it. It's also the most pampered machine in our job shop.

>
How much weight can you get in those U-haul trailers??? I may just rent one when I get my lathe.
>

The dual axle U-Haul trailers you usually see in two vintages. The newer ones are marked 2500 lbs and the older ones 3000 lbs. When you pick one up check the tires and front frame carefully, these often get abused and often have either damaged frames or mickey mouse repair job frames.

The trailers handle surprisingly well at full load, I pulled a 2400 lb mill in one of these trailers from LA to Frisco with a 1/2 ton truck in the middle of the night when there wasn't any traffic and when the road was smooth the combo cruised fine at 75 mph.

Paul T.

Sorry I missed this thread...I think the "AO" single axle all-galvanized-steel trailers are ~1900 lbs payload.

The "RO" double axles are something like 3000 lbs, I've had ~3500 lbs in them with nary a problem.

Again, stressing these are all-galvanized steel trailers....there is NO PLYWOOD in them...and I would definitely not move anything heavier than a mitersaw in a plywood-floored trailer.

The "AO" trailer is just fine for a Bridgeport, if you're headed that way. Just set your machine with the center of gravity 6-10" ahead of the axle centerline and they pull very well. I don't exceed 65 mph when pulling them loaded, have gone up to 75 mph for the occasional passing maneuver.

Oh yeah, check tire pressure too!

I just rented one with brand-new looking tires. Loaded in my Bridgeport and one tire was half-flat.

Uh-oh.

Got out the air pressure gage, and it was down to 20psi...refilled to the recommended 65psi and all was fine after that...could not even detect the tire deflection under the load.

Great story, just read it. Moving machinery can be as much fun as using it. I just moved my CK yesterday a mere 8 feet with a pinch bar to reclaim a stall in the garage. Man, are those lathes heavy, 3500 lbs I've heard. Had to stop several times to rest. Makes me appreciate fork lifts which delivered the lathe to the garage but was too tall to drive inside.

Steve

Back