What's new
What's new

Collet Chuck Threads Worn Out

Tipsy

Aluminum
I just bought a new Cushman 215 collet chuck. It came with a bunch of 215 Hardinge collets which are in good shape. However, the threaded ring in the chuck has worn out, the threads are almost flat, and I am afraid they will try to cross thread soon.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0131-1.jpg

So, my question, how without a lathe can I fix this? My lathes are not currently running. Has anyone found a source for such parts? I think this part was made to wear out and be occasionally replaced, thereby sparing a whole set of collets which are harder.

Just for interest, here are all the collets, 1/32 to 1/3/4"
IMG_0133.jpg

You could either threadmill it on a cnc mill or use a lathe. Filing new threads is out :D

While a new one is probably the best fix, it might be worth while to machine the thread completely away, and braze up with aluminum bronze and recut the thread (on somebody's lathe).

Building up with steel electrodes would likely not be a great fix, because steel galls quite easily unless it is fully hardened.

Plenty of beef there. Bore out the ring. Make a shouldered bushing with a little interferance in the ring bore, press it in from the back side so collet tension holds it against the shoulder.

Get one of your lathes going and fix the chuck by boring out and replacing the thread as mentioned above. How were you planning on using the chuck if your lathes are not operable?

Back