What's new
What's new

Electroless nickel plating used to reduce part variation

jake53

Plastic
Does anyone have experience with the use of electroless nickel plate used to control part thickness?
I have an aluminum spacer which is already electroless nickel plated with thickness held to +\-0.005 mm.
I need to hold this part to +/-0.002 mm. I have seen this done in the past for a bearing bore where parts were sorted by bore size and the plating thickness adjusted to compensate for bore size variation. In that case bore tolerance was reduced from +\- 0.010 mm to +\- 0.005. Does anyone know of someone doing this? What is the best tolerance electroless nickel plating thickness can be held to?

It can be done.

Electroless nickel builds up uniformly in a hot bath, unlike electroplating where thickness builds up faster near the electrodes.

You place your part as well as sacrificial part(s) like dowel pins in the same bath. After a certain amount of time (determined through trial and error), you pull a dowel pin and measure the diameter growth to determine plating thickness.

Repeat until you hit your target and then pull the part out.

4 microns is tight but not impossible.

use to see that on motor con rods one end would have copper plating on it

there are several types of nickel, varying in hardness, lubricity and many other properties. they get heat treated too. if this is really only
a spacer, maybe look into copper. some solutions will not do more that 5µ. its done cold. if you want to try it youself, its easy. i sometimes do it to e.g. fit a ring on a shaft with tight tolerance. dip it in there, try fit, dip some more, done. its soft.

Back