What's new
What's new

Iowa Engine and Launch Works and iron planer identification

esbutler

Aluminum
When I finished seeing what Keith Rucker was up to today, YouTube sucked me into some other videos. This one is an interesting donation of the complete Iowa Marine Engine and Launch Works, Bellevue IA to the National Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque. line-shaft machine shop @1+years old; Still works ! - YouTube

Nice complete line shaft shop.

There is a nice old planer at about 16:10 and 18:18 with what looks like a centaur playing a harp on the column brace. Anybody know the manufacturer of this planer?
Planer with centaur playing harp.jpg

Found this picture of the shop.
5270b619ac60f.image.jpg

Yes, the planer is made by John Parshley, New Haven, Conn. It is an 1850s vintage machine. My friend has a similar planer (although his is larger) with the tondo depicting Abraham sacrificing a ram in place of his son, Isaac. Jake

Yes, the planer is made by John Parshley, New Haven, Conn. It is an 1850s vintage machine. My friend has a similar planer (although his is larger) with the tondo depicting Abraham sacrificing a ram in place of his son, Isaac. Jake

Thanks Jake. Any chance we could see some pictures of that Parshley planer?

W.L. Silbey????

Thanks JBoogie. That seems like a reasonable guess given Cope's description in American Planer, Shaper, and Slotter Builders:

Silbey, W.L., Waltham, MA
Planer builder operating c1860. One of its planers was examined in 1908 as part of a study of old machine tools. It was described as "highly ornamented with uprights having cast-in ladies with flowing robes holding lyres. Another lyre was located below each lady." The 1908 writer couldn't resist the pun " how could we swear to the truth of work done by a planer with four lyers." Truth of work, at that time, expressed the accuracy with which a machine cut metal.

Do any Silbey machines still exist? Does anyone have any pictures?

Back