What's new
What's new

Old style 4 jaw independent/universal 10" chuck

Froneck

Titanium
Going thru my pile of chucks I found an older style 4 Jaw chuck that is independent yet I think has a scroll not ring gear and gear on the jaw threads. Independent adjustment via Male square on both sides of the screw, I guess it can be reversed if Male square rounds. Another square slightly protrudes out the face of the chuck that will move all jaws at the same time, also a slot on the OD of the chuck in the same location as the square is opening for what looks like a hex connected to the same shaft as the square universal adjuster on the face. I've seen photos of this chuck and one similar on the Walcot 18X62 tread reply #6. Machined for a back plate but none attached. Square drive ends look to be in good shape, square on opposite end of the screws look unused.
Anyone with an older lathe that wants period chuck interested? Looks to be in good shape. Few slight dings in the face that look to be from sitting around than from use. If interested let me know!
I have quite a few 10" chucks, don't need it!! If there is no interest I have a few large dividing heads I can make an back plate for and mount it. Kinda sounds like work though and I don't need more of it!

Here's photos of the chuck, it is definitely independent/universal, screw on each jaw like an independent but has a scroll that will move all the jaws. Square on the face drives the gear shown on the back side. Jaw movement is slower than normal on a scroll chuck but it's because of the gear reduction. I did take a photo of the slot on the OD, Hex head so that a wrench can tighten jaws, front square don't make much sense especially if something is in the jaws!

CIMG1897.jpgCIMG1896.jpgCIMG1895.jpgCIMG1894.jpgCIMG1893.jpg

I'm thinking this chuck can be shipped for $35, weight might be over or very near 70 pounds. USPS limit is 70 pounds total so with the flat rate box and cardboard packing I think it will exceed 70 pounds. I can remove the jaws, mark everything so it will assemble the way as when I removed it. Ship the body in the large Flat Rate box and the balance in a Medium Flat Rate box. Total will be something like $34 and change.$35 close enough. Price I have no idea, I have all the 10" chucks I need and would rather see something of this style be used on the lathe of it's period. Make an offer! Highest offer will get it! I'll add $35 for shipping, maybe only $20 if I can get it all on one box, I doubt it will fit in the Medium box but if it will then shipping will be $15. I did ship a few chucks of this size, I cut-up cardboard and fill all the voids in the box so the chuck don't move, the chuck will destroy the box if it can move. I then wrap it well with the USPS tape. To add strength I buy that nylon filament tape on my dime and add more strength and cover it with more USPS tape. Both the chuck I sent before made it. Actual Diameter of the Chuck is 10-1/4" if the exact size is needed let me know.

Back