What's new
What's new

peck drilling with full retract - reduce distance to start drilling next peck

carl laniak

Aluminum
I am running an old Leadwell MCV 760, with Fanuc 0-M control.

I can't figure out the search terms to find the answer for this...

I am drilling a bunch of holes that need a full retract between pecks.

These holes are 0.77" deep, and I'm pecking 0.1" at a time.

My issue is that when the drill re-enters the hole it only rapids to within 0.1" of the bottom of the hole before slowing to the drilling feed rate.

I'd like it to rapid to say, within 0.015" before slowing to the drilling feed rate.

Is there a canned cycle with a variable for this?

If not, I guess it's time to spend some time learning to write a macro for the purpose.

Perhaps there is a parameter in the control that decides what percentage of the peck depth the drill returns to after full retract....?

Thanks,
Carl

Pretty sure its a parameter,I know we have altered ours in the past, but it's been too long ago to remember. I don't think its a percentage, but an actual value.

Parameter 531 is for G73, it will retract this amount. For an inch machine, this is in .0001 increments. Leadwell shipped them with 1000 as a default value. So for .015, you would set 150.

Parameter 532 is for G83. It will return this amount higher than the previous depth. Same goes for this, Leadwell shipped it with 1000 as a default.

Dont push it too close. I was drilling some deep, 1" holes once and occasionally a fairly big chip would fall back in hole. This resulted in a crash at bottom of hole. I actually damaged my spindle bearings. Spindle still hanging in there, but has sounded little off ever since that job.

Since then I actually increased my clearance distance.

Back