What's new
What's new

What is this gadget?

Oh it is a compressination squbukator.

No seriously it looks like it mounts to a bench with the back clamp.
the clamp in the front of the mechanism maybe holds a sample of something. depending on how that sample compresses the rod that contacts the springy looking black thing that comes up vertically to the big dial, would deflect. And that the extent of my theory.
Are there any gradeationions on the device anywhere ?
In any case it looks really scucum , built by a chap who gave a shit what he produced. I'm really interested to know as are you. I'm gonna show it to my friend who is old and knows about stuff like this. I will show it to him today and maybe we will have an answer in 9 hours.

There are graduations on the underside of the dial thing. There is the back clamp but it is definitely meant to sit/slide on the smooth plastic lined (?) bottom.

It's a device used for testing cell phone cameras. In your case, it proves that you are still using a flip phone from 1995 with a medium layer of KFC chicken fat smeared across the lens.

It's for testing the mechanical properties of walnut shells. No, really.

Better/more pictures of other angles and close-ups might help with a real answer, as would more information about where you got it and if it was with any other equipment.

Ha, ha, ha. No offense taken. Small minds and big egos have difficulty acknowledging they don't know something.

My late older brother (passed in 2015 - 64yrs) was a machinist for Scanivalve, an aerospace product company in Spokane, WA. He ran a Brother Speedio VMC and was their "go to" guy for special design and tooling/setup solutions. All the old timers would say, "Give that thing to Bruce. He knows what to do with it."

This gadget was in a cabinet with his collection of Starrett, Mitutoyo, and Brown and Sharpe indicators, calipers, depth gauges, levels, etc., both new and antique. He liked old tools.

Looks like some weird repeat-o-meter with a trailer hitch.

Nothing is for sale.

Attachments

• 20180613_103718.jpg
    20180613_103718.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 20180613_103810.jpg
    20180613_103810.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 20180613_103846.jpg
    20180613_103846.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 265
It's a device used for testing cell phone cameras. In your case, it proves that you are still using a flip phone from 1995 with a medium layer of KFC chicken fat smeared across the lens.

My flip phone is circa 2015. Honestly. I'm pretty sure the KFC wasn't an option. Can't beat the plan price.$7 a month.

It's an interesting piece, but looks possibly shop-made for a specific purpose, not a commercially made tool. The clamp and rod are fixed to the slide, as is the contact pad for the fine threaded micrometer wheel, yes? And since the contact pad would only touch the micrometer under compressive load, then whatever is being tested either has to rest on top of the two base legs, or be under low enough stress to not shift the device if it's resting on top of the test article.

So what would have a generally round shape that could be captured by the clamp, then put under a specified amount of load/displacement? I dunno...

Kinda looks like a microtome sample clamp. Clamp it in the microtome, clamp the sample and turn the hand wheel to adjust the slice thickness.

So what would have a generally round shape that could be captured by the clamp, then put under a specified amount of load/displacement? I dunno...

Besides Spurving bearings?

I noticed something else on that thing. Look below the clamp to the front of the 2 legs. There's some sheet metal tabs there like way wipers. Built a lot of valves and ain't seen nothing like it.
JR

Besides Spurving bearings?

I noticed something else on that thing. Look below the clamp to the front of the 2 legs. There's some sheet metal tabs there like way wipers. Built a lot of valves and ain't seen nothing like it.
JR

Metal tabs to hold the plastic base pads on.

Attachments

• 20180613_123442.jpg
    20180613_123442.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 189

Back