What's new
What's new

Bandsaw tire recommendation.....

D6c

Aluminum
I'm looking for replacement bandsaw tires for my vertical saw.
The machine has about a 24" throat depth and is set up with 3 blade wheels to get the blade around the wide throat. (2) 16" wheels & (1) 12" wheeel.

The tires are set in grooves 5/8-3/4" wide with a shoulder for the back of the blade to run against. The tire on the lower wheel is gone and the wheel is chewed up some from the blade.....looks like it's run with the blade tracking way off and without a tire it chewed into the front side of the tire groove.

The tires I can find are quite a bit wider and somewhat thinner that what I have. Is it fairly easy to trim the width down? (urethane tires)
They talk about crowning the tires but I'm thinking that mostly applies to flat wheels on wood bandsaws.

Any advice?

I'm looking for replacement bandsaw tires for my vertical saw.
The machine has about a 24" throat depth and is set up with 3 blade wheels to get the blade around the wide throat. (2) 16" wheels & (1) 12" wheeel.

The tires are set in grooves 5/8-3/4" wide with a shoulder for the back of the blade to run against. The tire on the lower wheel is gone and the wheel is chewed up some from the blade.....looks like it's run with the blade tracking way off and without a tire it chewed into the front side of the tire groove.

The tires I can find are quite a bit wider and somewhat thinner that what I have. Is it fairly easy to trim the width down? (urethane tires)
They talk about crowning the tires but I'm thinking that mostly applies to flat wheels on wood bandsaws.

Any advice?
loctite sells glue for rubber oring making from rolls of round rubber.
perhaps you could buy flat strip rubber and sand the ends to a bevel and glue together similar to how a leather belt is glued together

loctite sells glue for rubber oring making from rolls of round rubber.
perhaps you could buy flat strip rubber and sand the ends to a bevel and glue together similar to how a leather belt is glued together

I've found that it's the very same as what's known as "Super Glue" - isocyanurate. Nothing special, therefore, no need to spend extra coin. It's what I use. If you cleave/cut the material squarely there should be no need to sand/grind/bevel. Just need a way to guide the ends together squarely and hold it for a good 45 seconds to cure, then leave it for about five minutes to be sure. YMMV

I've posted on this topic several times over the years, but....

My old Oliver direct drive 18 inch saw, is fitted with a VFD and does just fine in all materials with the proper blade. When rebuilding the saw, the tire situation was not favorable, so I purchased a couple lengths of industrial leather belting. (the good stuff!)

With a proper skive joint to fit the belting to the wheel, and a tin of fresh weld wood contact cement, the leather tires were "applied".

After the adhesive cured for a day or so, the saw was run with a sanding block applied to the leather tires to shape a "mild" crown, and smooth out any irregularity at the joint.

That was about 20 years ago. The tires look as good today as they did when first fitted.

I think I paid about $25 for the leather belting to do both wheels.

Second Sulfur Grove Tool.I have had them make up not only bs tires but also some odd ball tires for some other apps.So they must be able to cut and weld probably any size.

I've posted on this topic several times over the years, but....

My old Oliver direct drive 18 inch saw, is fitted with a VFD and does just fine in all materials with the proper blade. When rebuilding the saw, the tire situation was not favorable, so I purchased a couple lengths of industrial leather belting. (the good stuff!)

With a proper skive joint to fit the belting to the wheel, and a tin of fresh weld wood contact cement, the leather tires were "applied".

After the adhesive cured for a day or so, the saw was run with a sanding block applied to the leather tires to shape a "mild" crown, and smooth out any irregularity at the joint.

That was about 20 years ago. The tires look as good today as they did when first fitted.

I think I paid about $25 for the leather belting to do both wheels.

I know this is an old thread but while doing a search for leather tires on bandsaws your messages came up a few times.
I am looking into buying a 30" tannewitz bandsaw that is fitted with leather tires.
It seems as though the tires are working pretty well for you, should I have concerns with the bandsaw set up with the leather tires. Can I put on a 1" carbide resaw blade with these tires?
How is the balancing? Does the saw vibrate?
Thanks

Unfortunately I can't recommend Carter Products for bandsaw tires or any perishable parts or materials. I purchased tires and tire adhesive for my Powermatic 20" bandsaw. The unopened epoxy gelled within a few months indicating that it was old when I received it. Carter refused to replace it citing a 30 day return policy. Since they don't manufacture the tires themselves there is no telling how old their stock may be and they won't stand behind them.

Back