What's new
What's new

Boston, Mass. Craigslist - Watchmakers lathe or something else?

It's a watchmaker's lathe, usually referred to as a mandrel. This one is missing the faceplate which is how they are usually configured (actually I haven't seen one without a faceplate). Probably mid-1800s. They were pretty useful machines in their day, wiped out by the much nicer and more versatile small lathes that came out of the American watch industry. Fairly collectible now and that's a decent price except for the missing faceplate.

These are actually not that rare.. They pop up pretty frequently.. Pretty to look at, but not very functional..
I saw one of these lathes on a new wood base with a vertical brass pipe supporting a table lamp in the home of a clock collector a few decades ago. That is about the only function I would have for one. I do have one of these lathes, but mine is missing the whole spindle and pulley. There never was a crank and gear on mine.

Larry

Yes Reggie, three something is not a bad price for these, normally they are 2 to 3 times that.

And yes they are dust collectors.... I have never used mine, it is on a less seen open iron base that is easier to dust..... BTW... As my one friend would say I had my mask on the day I bought it for $ 50..... And the best part was as I was sitting on the guys patio I could see across the street to the home of another tool collector, who even worked as a curator at the Smithsonian!.... It is amazing sometimes people have no idea who their neighbors are or what they have or do. When I later told RV he couldn't believe it..... I also bought a Stark lathe and a rare leather working tool from the guy that day...... Sold the leather thing for more than I paid for the lot.....ah... Those were days!...... And to make it even more fun, the late AntiqueMac had given me the lead.... It was some guy he ran into at a flea market who saw he bought tools...... Mac didn't want to drive downtown (Wash DC) on the weekend since he did it 5 days a week.... So he said, here's his number, you follow it up........

Back