What's new
What's new

Cleaning point contact bearings

mnl

Hot Rolled
I am trying to rehabilitate an old instrument. One component has a pivot which I believe to be a needle in seat bearing. Rotation angle is ~45 degrees at a very low rate, probably no more than 1 degree/second. The pivot seems to have excess drag. There are several potential causes, but one of the leading ones is accumulated dust. Due to an oversight it sat uncovered for a couple of years. I would prefer not to take the bearing apart. I expect getting it back together with proper clearance would be extremely difficult. I would like to flush the pivot with something to try and sweep out any contamination, but what to use? In the old days there were lots of options, most of them have gone the way of the dodo. Any suggestions?

That was more or less the concept that I was thinking about, but I am unfamiliar with the current product lines. Any specific recommendations?

There are aerosol watch cleaners.

On delicate stuff I use circuitboard and fiber optics cleaners.
Chemtronics Electro Wash PX
then maybe some watch oil in a needle oiler.

Reactions: mnl
Thanks. My understanding is this is a dry contact pivot. While is motion seems to be very free and smooth, it seems to have some momentary stiction followed by a small jump. As far as I can tell this is random throughout its range of motion.

I watched a vid, the guy was setting the ruby bearings I think, remember the word “ staking” them, oil was applied with what looked like a rotring drawing pen oiler, special oil for watches.
I think a horological site may be what you need?
Mark

Reactions: mnl

Back