What's new
What's new

Colchester year made?

tombauer

Plastic
Hi all, I just got Colchester Student 1800 serial #4000509394. I would like to know the year and where to get a service manual for this exact lathe as it is about to get a complete rebuild. Also any input on a reasonable good DRO at an affordable price. It is a 13 x 25.
Thanks, Tom

I think if you contacted the makers ..600 group ...or whatever they call themselves now.....,you will be able to download a manual and parts book.....and possibly get a DOM.

You need to edit your title to be more more informative please, or your thread will be locked. This is outlined in the rules sticky thread at the top of this forum section:

Specifically:

TOPIC TITLES NEED TO BE DESCRIPTIVE

The worst topic titles are things like-

1. Please Help !
2. Hey everybody, look at this !

But even more specific titles like-

1. Need info on D31
2. G53

Are meaningless or nearly so to many, so will be locked as meaningless. My theories on the reasons for meaningless titles are-

1. The "surprise" aspect... open the package to find out
2. Laziness
3. Shyness (newbies are especially prone to meaningless topic titles)

Bottom line is we need members to simply tell us in advance enough info to at least get a hint of what the topic is about.

This for two reasons-

1. Many of us are in a hurry and don't have time to open posts we then find out are of no interest

2. Search engines concentrate on topic titles more so than content, so with proper title your topic is more likely to be found by others with similar issues later.

Update, my student 1800 has a center storage box below the bad and came with all the accessories, I thought the Colchester lathes did not have storage? Also there is a spindle lock knob on the left end of head stock that runs a pin into a gear like part to lock the shaft. I have looked at all (150+) photos on the net and can not find a lathe with this feature. Anyone have one?

Update, my student 1800 has a center storage box below the bad and came with all the accessories, I thought the Colchester lathes did not have storage? Also there is a spindle lock knob on the left end of head stock that runs a pin into a gear like part to lock the shaft. I have looked at all (150+) photos on the net and can not find a lathe with this feature. Anyone have one?
The spindle lock is a new one on me. I take it there’s an interlock of some sort to prevent you starting the lathe with the pin in situ ? Previously I’d just put the spindle in the lowest gear if I didn’t want it to move.

Regards Tyrone

Sure, I forgot them yester day then holiday. Mch No 4/0005/09394 DD

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_215705381.jpg
    IMG_20231122_215705381.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20231122_220357922.jpg
    IMG_20231122_220357922.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231122_220742214_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20231122_220742214_HDR~2.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 28
The storage cabinet and spindle indexer / lock are very neat modifications by a previous owner.

Presumably it still has the emergency stop tramp bar fitted. I guess the switch on the spindle indexer / lock is wired into the emergency stop circuit.

Clive

The storage cabinet and spindle indexer / lock are very neat modifications by a previous owner.

Presumably it still has the emergency stop tramp bar fitted. I guess the switch on the spindle indexer / lock is wired into the emergency stop circuit.

Clive
These are definitely factory features. Yes it has foot brake.

Another item is the speed. Colchester says 30 rpm for lowest, this lathe is 22. Highest is still 1800.

Hi all, I just got Colchester Student 1800 serial #4000509394. I would like to know the year and where to get a service manual for this exact lathe as it is about to get a complete rebuild. Also any input on a reasonable good DRO at an affordable price. It is a 13 x 25.
Thanks, Tom
If you need any parts or manuals for your Colchester lathe, please contact me at +17132023551 or email me at [email protected]. I am in Houston
, Texas FDK3COMPANY

Back