What's new
What's new

Fanuc Series O-M Cant see Tool number location relative to tool pot in parameter list? Parameter 400s?

onlygm

Plastic
Hey There. We have a Hamai 6VA CNC using a Fanuc series O-M. A few months ago we had some issues and changed out a board in the control panel. Upon doing so, we lost all the machine Parameters. Luckily we had a hard copy of parameters and re-entered all said parameters, (PARAM, and DGNOS) as well as 900 Parameter for tool change program. The Machine is up and running with no issues entering programs, tool offsets or dnc to and from computer. My issue comes in when trying to view which tool is in which pot on the parameter list. Prior to the chip failing it used to display which tool number was in which pot in parameters 430-454 (24 tool changer) in no set order. We came up with a system where we write with a paint pen on the base of the the actual tool holder the tool # number so you can visually look up and see which tool you wanted. Considering the tool numbers and pot numbers never matched sometimes i would have to click into parameters and say i was looking to figure out which tool was in pot 2 i would look into parameter 432 and it would display a 2 digit number which was the actual tool # which was 0-24 that was sitting in pot #2. Since changing the card there are no parameters between 399-500, and in DGNOS it has the 400's but they are all 8 digit numbers with only 0's&1's within the sequence. Ive got the actual manual from the machine and the steps it suggests doesnt allow me to get into the 400s or the 400s are not present? The Fanuc Manual parameter section skips the 400s completly so it was no help. If anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions on what might be causing this or what parameters to look into i would appreciate your input.

it wouldn't be in regular parameters, it would be in diagnostic parameters. They would be numbers listed as D and not 8 bit numbers. They are MTB specific, fanuc does not set them.

For example, on our simple leadwell machines, 440 is the number in the spindle, and other diagnostic parameters will set things like the number of tools, which pocket is facing the spindle, what's in the spindle, and the last tool called.

On our "more complicated" leadwell with 24 pockets but they are "random" (which sounds like what you've got), certain diagnostic parameters will be set to which tool is in which pocket. Your numbers 430-454 sound about right. Something like pot 1 would be 431 and would have a 1 in there if t1 was in that pocket. if T24 was in the spindle, and you changed to T1, then 431 would have a 24 in it because T24 is in pocket 1. and so on and so on.

So, if you're saying that the numbers no longer match, something is up. If you find a bank of "D" diagnostic parameters that are all zeros, those could be the parameters you need to populate. You're pretty much gonna need the manual to tell you. Or get good at reading the ladder.

I have a P&W TriMac which is the same as the Hamai with a different nameplate.
The tool pot #s were held in the PC parameter page, not the regular parameters.

Never run into this before on a 0 control. On 10-12 series controls(same vintage as 0) you had to set some parameters to establish the format for the data table (equivalent of your Diagnostics 430-454). I suspect that there is a similar setting required to change the 0 series from binary display to integer in that range.

Never run into this before on a 0 control. On 10-12 series controls(same vintage as 0) you had to set some parameters to establish the format for the data table (equivalent of your Diagnostics 430-454). I suspect that there is a similar setting required to change the 0 series from binary display to integer in that range.

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what i needed. I went in DGNOS parm, and #'s 430-450 had all differnt 8 digit sequences, which made me assume that corresponded to tool numbers 0-24 in the wrong format. I changed Parameter 19 bit 7 from 0-1 and it fixed my issue. It is now displaying my tool numbers correctly. Appreciate your input.

it wouldn't be in regular parameters, it would be in diagnostic parameters. They would be numbers listed as D and not 8 bit numbers. They are MTB specific, fanuc does not set them.

For example, on our simple leadwell machines, 440 is the number in the spindle, and other diagnostic parameters will set things like the number of tools, which pocket is facing the spindle, what's in the spindle, and the last tool called.

On our "more complicated" leadwell with 24 pockets but they are "random" (which sounds like what you've got), certain diagnostic parameters will be set to which tool is in which pocket. Your numbers 430-454 sound about right. Something like pot 1 would be 431 and would have a 1 in there if t1 was in that pocket. if T24 was in the spindle, and you changed to T1, then 431 would have a 24 in it because T24 is in pocket 1. and so on and so on.

So, if you're saying that the numbers no longer match, something is up. If you find a bank of "D" diagnostic parameters that are all zeros, those could be the parameters you need to populate. You're pretty much gonna need the manual to tell you. Or get good at reading the ladder.
Thank you for your response. That is exactly what i needed. I went in DGNOS parm, and #'s 430-450 had all different 8 digit sequences, which made me assume that corresponded to tool numbers 0-24 in the wrong format. I changed Parameter 19 bit 7 from 0-1 and it fixed my issue. It is now displaying my tool numbers correctly. Appreciate your input.

Back