What's new
What's new

FS - Mitutoyo Digimatic Caliper

It's interesting that Travers tool currently has a picture of the 6" caliper with the small "5" in their advertisements and catalogs.
Laughing ... but the classic screwup of all time had to be one of the monthly newsletters HD used to send to their dealers. It was celebrating Gary Scott's latest win or something, and had a big photo of him leading the pack .... on a Triumph :)

Among several varying features (the slidelock screw, the battery cover, the supplied battery itself), the major one is the half-"5" in the tenths place on the fakes. On that basis alone he made the instantaneous judgement of "Chinese copy" for my caliper.

It is perhaps worth keeping in mind that this may not be a 100% reliable differentiator in the future. It seems plausible to me that as the counterfeiters recognize that the word is getting around, the design will mutate, and that what is already an excellent job of counterfeiting will become even more so.

-Marty-

Thank you.

Just my 2 cts
I bought my 500-196 from M S C back when they had real sales (2001-5?)and although it was nice to use I found it ate batteries. It often was not used because of that fact as the the local drug store sold the batteries for $3.50 ea
Within the last couple years my wife started buying the battery powered candles and that was justified by the ability to buy batteries by the 10 or 20 card lot for less than $10 on fleabay.
I use the Mit more than I used to and I also have 2 of the Kobalt ss 6" that are fine for quick measurements.

does the copy have "Made in Japan" on the caliper back?

Maybe travers got a batch of fakes or they just stole a stock image off a of a counterfeit.
The travers website has a link the the catalog page. It also has the counterfeit pic in the print catalog, they call it a Mitutoyo "MyCal" there also.

Travers sells some good stuff right alongside the Chinese crap, I wonder if they know this Mit "MyCal" is not the real deal.

I like the silver IP67's better, I have one of each and the new style is much easier on batteries.

Just my 2 cts
I bought my 500-196 from M S C back when they had real sales (2001-5?)and although it was nice to use I found it ate batteries. It often was not used because of that fact <SNIP>

Odd about the poor battery life of your real Mitutoyo caliper. I have had numerous Mitutoyo digital calipers over the past 20 years, and found them all to have excellent battery life, in the order of years.

My everyday-use (but genuine) 500-196 and 500-197 calipers are there to be used 24/7 and are always up to snuff, even with dollar-store batteries. Wish I could say the same about the Chinese depth gauge I have.
. Gregg

Odd about the poor battery life of your real Mitutoyo caliper. I have had numerous Mitutoyo digital calipers over the past 20 years, and found them all to have excellent battery life, in the order of years.

My everyday-use (but genuine) 500-196 and 500-197 calipers are there to be used 24/7 and are always up to snuff, even with dollar-store batteries. Wish I could say the same about the Chinese depth gauge I have.
. Gregg

My mitutoyos have great battery life as well. Typically over a year so infrequently that I don’t remember. Could be another fake one eating batteries.

Considering when I purchased mine 15+ years ago, doubt it is a fake.
Irony, as soon as I had a cheap supply of batteries, they seem to last longer.
If 4th place showing is the one of the tests mines real

I don't have the instruction sheet with me, are these supposed to be auto off after a certain time?

Mine don't auto-off as far as I know. And that is weird about the battery life - every Mitutoyo digital I own except the very oldest (pic attached) is VERY easy on batteries. Even that one isn't terrible. I think that's 5 Mits calipers total.

20200714_112618.jpg

I apparently have had this discussion before on this site about batteries.
A comment was made on a post years ago about using the SR44 that it will last longer than the LR44(which apparently I've been using). May explain my shorter than normal battery life.

Batteries: On the instruction sheet with my assumedly counterfeit Mitutoyo Digimatic, the battery specification is for SR44 (silver oxide), with the note that battery life in normal use is 3.5 years. It is also stated that the battery supplied is solely for checking functions and performance and may not satisfy the specification of battery life.

The safety section conveys the advice to call a doctor if the battery is swallowed.

-Marty-

In reply to two questions posted in this thread:

[1] the words "Made in Japan" do appear on the back of my assumedly counterfeit Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper
and
[2] I did not find in the directions sheet a mention of auto-off after a certain time

-Marty-

Back