What's new
What's new

How can I quickly stop both spindles after part handoff on Doosan subspindle Lathe?

alek95

Cast Iron
Is there a quick way to disengage the spindle synchronization on a Doosan subspindle lathe? Currently we are using the code "M205 P11" which stops both spindles, but it takes forever (5+ seconds) to wind down the RPM on the spindles. I guess it's because it is stopping them in synchronization. I just need a quick way to stop the spindles after I hand off the part.

Here is an example of my code:

(-Sub Spindle1-)
N600
M05 P11
M09
G30 U0 V0 W0
G00 G18 G40 G98
M131 (SUB INTERLOCK BYPASS)
M169 (SUB OPEN)
T1111
M34 (TURNING MODE MAIN)
M134 (TURNING MODE SUB)
G97 M213 S200 P11
M110
G00 G54 Z-.450
M108
G04 X.5
M14 (MAIN SIDE AIR BLAST ON)
G00 B1.
G01 G98 B-.25 F40.
M109
M15
M168 (SUB CLOSE)
G04 X.5
M01

(-Cut Off1-)
N700 G50 S3000
G00 T1111 (T1111= .125 CUT-OFF BLADE)
G99 G18 M34
G96 S800 M03 P11
G00 G54 X1.45 Z-.450 Y0 M08
G01 X.5 F.003
G00 G53 B0.
G00 X1.5
G30 U0 V0 W0
M205 P11 T0131
M09
M05 P11
M01

Update: I found a way to do it.

M05 P11 rapid stops the main spindle. The sub spindle continues to free spin which is okay because it is spinning the correct way for the next tool. M03 P13 then gets the sub spindle to the correct speed.

In my testing, this shaved about 6 seconds off of every program. A rather big deal considering most of our parts run in the 2-3 minute range.

We wasted a lot of time at my company for no reason. I need to put a request in to get our post processor updated.

Reactions: Ox
If you don't want the sub spinning when done, I would M205 (?) the sub first, and then the main and see if that werks.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

M205 actually stops both spindles, but it stops them in synchronization, which takes a lot of time because it matches RPM. Also it is just plain old frustrating because it looks like your machine is just sitting there not doing anything for 6+ seconds.

Well, IDK your M codes, but - doo you have some other code that stops JUST the sub?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

M05 P13 stops just the sub.

P11 is main
P12 is live tooling
P13 is the sub

Do you not have the manual for your machine?

Yours is a newer machine than mine, (mine did not use the Pxx method that the newer Doosans do) but mine had explicit m-codes for sync control and it could be turned on/off independently of turning the spindles on/off. I'd be surprised if yours doesn't also have explicit m-codes for this.

The newer machines aren't provided with manuals any longer, just a thumb drive with PDFs on them unfortunately. Makes checking the manual quite annoying.

The newer machines aren't provided with manuals any longer, just a thumb drive with PDFs on them unfortunately. Makes checking the manual quite annoying.
When that happens I take the pdf to FedEx (Kinkos) and have them printed out and spiral bound. A small price to pay for not having to read off the screen. Pdf's are great for when you want to do a quick search, but crap otherwise.

Is there a quick way to disengage the spindle synchronization on a Doosan subspindle lathe? Currently we are using the code "M205 P11" which stops both spindles, but it takes forever (5+ seconds) to wind down the RPM on the spindles. I guess it's because it is stopping them in synchronization. I just need a quick way to stop the spindles after I hand off the part.

For a quicker reaction, first use an M206 which turns off the spindle synch, then give an M5 P11 and an M5 P13 which will shut down in rapid succession. The reason for the long, drawn out, stop is that the control is keeping the spindles synchronized, even under a stop condition.

It's always been my impression that the spindles when synced to stop are being held to around 50% load on braking to control the back EMF (if that's what it's called) into the mains and current capabilities of the amplifier(s). Or maybe the larger Amp is being held back to operate under the smaller sub-spindles current capabilities.

Watch the Spindle Load Meter at braking in sync (50%-ish) and normal breaking (100+%). I bet it's set in Parameter somewhere. I believe my Mori is showing only Main Spindle Current in the lower right corner during either scenario.

That would be a Doosan thing if so. Not Fanuc.
Mine will stop just fine. (25 and 15hp spindles)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Rapid retract back up G0 x3.0 after cut off it will be higher up and lower that g96 than add M205p11 before sending B axis home for slowing down while traveling back to g28 g53 b0. Should happen quicker stops

Back