What's new
What's new

How to find a steady rest that'll fit my lathe

I found steady & follow rests for a Takisawa TSL by looking at pix and the manual and haunting eBay. Every steady I've ever seen has at least one distinctive feature. A good search is "unknown steady rest" and "unknown follow rest" . Eventually one will turn up, just be patient.

Have also made a larger capacity steady from an automotive flywheel and cam followers. The body doesn't have to center exactly, just be close.

Found this for 100. Dosent hit the second way, but height looks spot on1000045948.jpg

Attachments

• 20240123_162544.jpg
    20240123_162544.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Wouldn't be difficult to add a block to the side of the existing flat way to ride on the lathe flat way. Personally, I would scrape both sides to fit this lathe after adding the side block. Good luck.
JC

If the steady V in post 22 is on to make center then an extension could be easily welded in place and ground or milled to fit.
If the V is off to make center a decent grinder or mill hand could likely make it right.

From here the V looks a little off.
*Set it to your taii stock quill and measuer it there, then proceed to make it fit. .

Last edited:

Back