What's new
What's new

How to remove mount from Haimer Zero Master

NRDock

Cast Iron
Last week I spotted a good deal on a Haimer zero master with the BT30 mount and jumped on it. Unfortunately, my mill has the NMTB 30 spindle and I didn't appreciate the difference at the time of purchase. I can't freely swap out draw bars in my Fray mill. My draw screw is turned with a long hex key which passes through a splined shaft that is smaller than the screw.

The only way I see to use this device is to remove the taper and shorten the small end by about 1/4", then use a 1/2" female to 12mm male adapter. Without shortening the taper, there is no space for any metal to remain between the male and female threads.

It looks like the taper is held in place with a T27 screw at the bottom of the M12 threaded hole. Does anyone know if removing the taper is as simple as removing this screw?

Never seen one in the flesh, but a quick search of Zero Masters shows what I expected, in that they don't seem to come with a Machine Tool Taper shank that is integral to the Haimer. Looks like they all have a Weldon-ish straight shank, which should fit the proper size End Mill Holder with a 30NMTB shank. (Or any Machine Tool shank for that matter.)

In short, I don't think you're going to hurt anything that you disassemble above the body of the Haimer. And yes it could be as simple as a single set screw. (Like typical of a smaller Weldon holder)

How about a picture?

T27.jpg
Here's the screw in question. At the moment, I don't have a T27 driver or bit combo that is small enough to fit through the bore above the star.
Upon closer examination , I see a sliver of a post between the BT30 mount and the Haimer body. What I can see looks to be about 0.7" diameter. Definitely smaller than 3/4"

Upon closer examination , I see a sliver of a post between the BT30 mount and the Haimer body. What I can see looks to be about 0.7" diameter. Definitely smaller than 3/4"
Just like I thought. So if there is no side-lock type of fastener showing, (set screw) go get yourself the proper tool and you'll be on your way.

Take a side on picture and upload it to be sure, but I assume from your description that it's the integral taper type and not just held in a sidelock.

If it's the integral taper type then you can't put it in any type of plain holder without the intermediate shank, which you presumably don't have.

To remove it, loosen the four very small set screws below the flange of the holder, then remove the screw inside the taper that you show in your photo.

Once you've removed it you'll see what I'm talking about.

Flange.jpg
There are no small set screws below the flange of the holder. I want to keep the BT30 mount, but I just need to shorten the small end a little to make space for an adapter. Yes, I could just Bubba the taper with a grinder, but I'd prefer to chuck it up in the lathe (on the flange) and cut the taper back.
Adapter.jpg

Back