What's new
What's new

I need some type of drag "guard" for my plasma torch

For some goofy reason all I see in this comment is the "nice vids" yet in the notification you say " try shorting the wires together"

I started to say you could bypass the contact switch in the gun by shorting the wires at the machine but then thought that might cause other problems so deleted that part of it. Machine might not like thinking the gun was always pressed onto the work.

oh, and none of us has EVER seen a metal can that leaked... and even if they did seal up perfectly every time, it's a plasma CUTTER. look, I'm not sayin' this is the worst thing ever, just not a good idea, that's all, so Pish Posh..? whatever.

!
After you start welding & cutting, you find that fire is over rated....so the floor is one fire....but I got a good bead going, so it can wait.

A viewer gave me the name of a man, George, that repairs all these old machines and I talked with him this morning. He remembers the Smith Equipment machines and told me that the torch is working as deigned. Seems some of the old torches has springs in the tips and some did not... Mine is using air pressure to act as a spring.

Says that after starting the tip needs to be only 1/16" off the material and consumable life on these old torches is poor.

George is taking a look at the videos and going to give me some suggestions on where to go from here.

I made one out of a coat hanger wire using pliers and a hammer. Wired it in place with bailing wire. I had to finish a job. It is still sitting on my work table. I'd post a photo but I don't see that option

I made one out of a coat hanger wire using pliers and a hammer. Wired it in place with bailing wire. I had to finish a job. It is still sitting on my work table. I'd post a photo but I don't see that option
Thanks,,, I found the real item and bought it a few months ago... In fact I am getting rid of that machine as it is not suited to most of the things I want to do... Already have a replacement for it, just need time to unbox it :)

Back