What's new
What's new

Info on South Bend 16" x 8'

Cad1220

Plastic
My first post on this form, so thanks for any help or information.
I am looking for information on a South Bend Lathe. It is a 69E model and the serial number is 32070. Would like to know the year of manufacture and the features that are on this machine.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Arnie

My first post on this form, so thanks for any help or information.
I am looking for information on a South Bend Lathe. It is a 69E model and the serial number is 32070. Would like to know the year of manufacture and the features that are on this machine.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Arnie
Prior to 1927. See Mr Wells catalog pages

Here is a link to the 1923 pocket book which lists the 69

Last edited:
Arnie:

Welcome to our 'board. There is another separate 'board here on Practical Machinist which is specifically for South Bend Lathes. The folks there may be better able to answer your questions. The book by South Bend "How to Run a Lathe" contains a good bit of general information about the whole range of South Bend Lathes.

South Bernd made design changes to their basic lathe design over the years. Examples would include: single tumbler lever/sliding gear vs two tumbler levers on the quick change gearbox; was the lathe built with 'loose change gears' vs quick change gears; type of headstock bearings and location of oil cups (Southbend ran cast iron headstock bearings for a number of years and then went to semi-split bronze bearings); was the lathe built to be driven off a line shaft vs having a hollow pedestal base with a jackshaft & motor in it; or, was the lathe built with a factory-supplied bracket for a motor and jackshaft over the headstock... These are the kinds of clues thatg give a general sense of the age of the lathe. Post pictures and we'll try to answer some of your questions.

I am attaching the pics that I have. Also thanks for the info on the South Bend site. I will check it out.

Attachments

• 69E 1.jpg
    69E 1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 69E2.jpg
    69E2.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 69E3.jpg
    69E3.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 69E4.jpg
    69E4.jpg