What's new
What's new

Need help spec'ing a pneumatic cylinder

One thing that led me to pneumatics as a solution was this video:
Tinker Talk - Shop press bottle jack tip #1 - No cost mod - YouTube

When you mentioned "air over oil," this is what came to mind, and it looks like what I envisioned was basically correct. This would be a "poor man's" air over oil, for sure. I was thinking on going this route because I wasn't sure if a (relatively inexpensive) pneumatic cylinder at 100 PSI could ACTUALLY put out the force I needed. However, after this conversation, it looks like I can. So, I'll head to eBay, drop some dough on a Bimba, and see if I can't make 'er chooch!

Thanks, all!

Sounds like a plan! One thing often lacking here is feedback on the outcome, so if it works let us know and if it doesn't, tell us why so we can all increase our knowledge.
Thank you

Sounds like a plan! One thing often lacking here is feedback on the outcome, so if it works let us know and if it doesn't, tell us why so we can all increase our knowledge.
Thank you

I'll do my best to remember. If there is blood, I definitely will . . .

a few additional ideas
speed, you have two issues, cylinder speed, which you may want to limit and cycle time, which you want as fast as possible. cylinder speed is easily controlled with a flow valve. if you don't have enough air line capacity, that can be helped by adding a surge tank, say a 5 gallon tank under your press with a check valve. this will allow volumn to build so the air will be ready when you want to cycle the press. Be sure to have a exhaust valve that will discharge the surge tank when you turn off your air supply, otherwise it will allow your press to cycle.
you can also build a toggle press, this will convert the long stroke of a relatively low force of a cylinder into a shorter stroke with the pressing force concentrated at the end of the stroke. toggles are fairly simple to build.
I have build numerous low force presses by using two plates that are connected with two cylinders, one on each end, working in reverse, so that the cylinders are pulling the plates together. using double ended cylinders works best. this is a super simple way of making a special press. I have done this for tiny cut off presses that use a single edge razor blade and a large 36 x 48 press with a cylinder in each corner, this was for forming a very light aluminum frame.

Try API Pneumatics. They have a range of stainless steel pneumatic cylinders which are really high quality. Their range offers high levels of corrosion resistance which is ideal for the food industry and will meet hygienic application standards. Best of all, they're one of the few global manufacturers progressive that offer 316 stainless steel cylinders, which is what the company I'm interning at are currently using. Here is the link for reference: 316 Stainless Steel Cylinders, Valves & Airline Equipment

Try API Pneumatics. They have a range of stainless steel pneumatic cylinders which are really high quality. Their range offers high levels of corrosion resistance which is ideal for the food industry and will meet hygienic application standards. Best of all, they're one of the few global manufacturers progressive that offer 316 stainless steel cylinders, which is what the company I'm interning at are currently using. Here is the link for reference: 316 Stainless Steel Cylinders, Valves & Airline Equipment

OP wanted to press BEEF...not SPAM

Back